In order to shape a more humane, equitable, and just world, the Leo T. McCarthy Center for Public Service and the Common Good educates leaders committed to lives of ethical public service by implementing academically rigorous programs, cultivating authentic community partnerships, and fostering transformational experiences.
By 2023, the Leo T. McCarthy Center for Public Service and the Common Good is advancing the University’s core mission by developing mutually enriching relationships that work toward more just and equitable communities and transformative learning.
What We Do
The Leo T. McCarthy Center for Public Service and the Common Good
- Fosters meaningful, integrated, and holistic education
of USF students to lead and serve
- Contributes to the health and vitality of the community
by responding to community-identified needs.
How We Do It
- Public Service Programs
- Community Engaged Learning
- Living Learning Communities (LLCs)
- Public Service and Community Engagement Minor
- Community Partner Innovation Fund
- Literacy Partnerships
- Health and Wellness Partnerships
- USF Votes
LIVE LEO’S LEGACY
To proclaim and enact our commitment to Leo McCarthy’s values of equity, human dignity, and integrity by fostering civic competencies and political participation, educating the next generation of ethical leaders and public servants, and addressing injustices that disproportionally affect the most vulnerable members of our communities.
SHAPE THE FIELD
To amplify the expertise, creativity, and passion of our staff, faculty, students, and community partners to transform not just USF students and our local community, but also the field of civic engagement and the institution of higher education.
To understand and address the issues of power, privilege, and oppression that manifest at the individual, institutional, and systemic levels of our democracy and bring an anti-oppressive lens to all aspects of our work.
SUSTAIN THE MCCARTHY CENTER
To secure the longevity of the McCarthy Center by building a robust network of supporters, collaborators, and funders by enacting the vision and values of the center and telling the stories of how our work contributes to the common good.
The McCarthy Center staff provide inclusive, action-oriented sustainable programming
- Utilizing and contributing to best practices and diverse epistemologies
- Developing and promoting multiple pathways to community engagement
Students, faculty, and staff critically and humbly engage in social change efforts
- Centering our work on the desires, needs, and strengths of the community and campus
- Enhancing collaboration with, and support and resources for community partners
Students, faculty, staff and community work in collaboration and coalition to practice transformative justice
- Nurturing participation, activism, and organizing among diverse students for thriving, equitable communities
- Challenging power, privilege, and oppression manifest in policy, practice, and structures