Nursing students and others walk through the center of campus

Types of Aid

View from the top of Lone Mountain steps and a banner reading "Location. Location. Location."

Federal and State Grants

When you file a FAFSA, you’ll be considered for grants based on your financial need. Like scholarships, you don’t need to pay them back.

Federal Work-Study

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is an opportunity for you to earn money from an on- or off-campus job. The money you earn from your job goes directly to you, like a regular paycheck.


Based on your FAFSA, you or your parents could qualify for low-interest government loans. You can also apply for private loans. Loans need to be paid back, usually with interest.


Free money is the best kind of money. Scholarships don’t need to be repaid, and they can be based on your financial need, your academic achievements, or your personal identity.

Tuition Exchange/FACHEX

If your parent works for a participating college or university, you may be eligible for additional tuition assistance.

Veterans Benefits

The Yellow Ribbon Program can help pay for tuition that the Post-9/11 GI Bill doesn’t cover.

Office of Financial Aid

Lone Mountain Main 251
2800 Turk Street
San Francisco, CA 94118

Monday – Friday:
8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Fax (415) 422-6084