Transfer Student Admission
Transfer to USF
Every year, we welcome nearly 500 new transfer students to the University of San Francisco. As a transfer student, you’ll get the best of a Jesuit liberal arts education and launch your career in the thriving, diverse, entrepreneurial city of San Francisco.
Eligibility and Requirements
You can apply as a transfer student if:
- You have graduated from high school and are enrolled or have been enrolled at another college or university or;
- You already have a degree and would like to pursue a second bachelor's degree
In order to be considered for transfer admission, you must:
- Have completed at least 24 semester or 36 quarter credits of college coursework from a regionally-accredited institution (30 semester or 45 quarter credits for nursing majors). If you have fewer than this, you can still apply to transfer, but a high school transcript will also be required to complete your application
- Cumulative college GPA of 2.5 or higher
- 3.0 GPA minimum requirement for Sacramento nursing or engineering majors
- 3.3 GPA minimum requirement for San Francisco nursing majors
- Be in academic and disciplinary good standing. USF defines good standing as having a term GPA of 2.00 or higher in the most recent term completed.
Prepare to Transfer
Plan ahead by reviewing the courses that will transfer to USF. We have articulation agreements with more than 60 two-year colleges in California and Seattle, WA.
Transfer Merit Scholarships
USF automatically considers all transfer applicants for a merit scholarship as part of the admission process — no additional forms or application needed. Merit scholarships are determined by your transfer GPA at the time of application, which is a calculated cumulative GPA of all college courses you’ve taken.
If you receive a merit scholarship, it will be noted in your admission letter. In addition to merit scholarships, we also encourage domestic transfer applicants to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Unfortunately, merit scholarships are not available for students applying to USF's Sacramento nursing program.
|GPA||Merit Scholarship Per Year|
|3.75 or higher GPA||$16,000|
|3.50 to 3.74 GPA||$14,000|
|3.20 to 3.49 GPA||$10,000|
|2.90 to 3.19 GPA||$7,000*|
*The 2.90–3.19 GPA merit scholarship is only offered to domestic students.
How to Apply
- Submit a transfer application by March 1 (Applications completed after this deadline will be reviewed on a space-available basis). See all dates and deadlines.
- Send transcripts from all colleges or universities that you’ve previously attended, whether credit was awarded or not. You can have your institution send official transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail them to:
Office of Admission
University of San Francisco
2130 Fulton Street
San Francisco, CA 94117
We also accept unofficial transcripts (in PDF format only); you can upload them in your application or email them to email@example.com.
A high school transcript is only necessary if you’ve taken fewer than 24 semester or 36 quarter units.
- (Domestic students only) Submit financial aid documents. If you intend to apply for need-based financial aid, you must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act application (for undocumented students in California). Unfortunately, financial aid is not available for international transfer students.
Transfer Credit Evaluator
See which courses you can transfer and how they’ll apply to certain degrees at USF. This evaluation is unofficial, but it will help you estimate your time on campus.
International students: This tool only evaluates credit from U.S.-based institutions. For more information about transferring credit from international schools, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Talk to our Transfer Team
Ready to transfer to USF? Make a transfer admission appointment to review your transcripts and determine your eligibility. If you meet USF’s admission requirements, we’ll be able to give you conditional on-the-spot admission (available for all majors except nursing and engineering).
For a general overview of USF, sign up for a transfer info session, offered weekly. You’ll learn about the application process.
2023 Transfer Honor Roll Selection
Phi Theta Kappa, international transfer honor society, named USF to its 2023 Transfer Honor Roll in recognition of our support for transfer students.