2nd Year Merit Fellowships
The USF Center for Asia Pacific Studies provides financial support for 2nd year students in the MA in Asia Pacific Studies (MAPS) program to further their studies at USF. Awards range from $1000-$5000. Applications open April 15th.
2nd Year Merit Fellowships for MAPS (hereafter Merit Fellowships) are awarded to students based on academic excellence.
In order to be eligible for a fellowship, students must:
- Have completed at least 2 semesters of the USF MA in Asia Pacific Studies program
- Have a minimum 3.5 GPA
- Be enrolled in 4 or more credits in the Fall semester.
- Not have received a Center second year fellowship in a previous semester.
The primary criteria for receiving a Merit Fellowship is scholastic ability and achievement. Some fellowships have additional criteria—such as research interest, professional experience, and financial need—which are outlined below.
Awarded to a student who exemplifies the Center's mission of bridging cultures and promoting cross-cultural understanding and academic excellence inside and outside the classroom.
Awarded to an outstanding student in the MA in Asia Pacific Studies program. This endowed fund was established in 1998 with a gift from Rev. Seiyu Kiriyama in Dr. Barbara K. Bundy's honor. Since that time the Center has continued to raise funds (from MAPS alumni as well as other individuals) in our founding director’s honor to support the MA in Asia Pacific Studies program in the form of an annual scholarship.
The Louis and Yolanda Giurani Fellowship Endowment was established in 1998 in memory of Fr. Edward J. Malatesta, SJ. The selection of recipients is based on the following criteria: 1) Financial Need, 2) Scholastic ability, and 3) at least one year of work experience in business.
Established in 2009 with an initial gift by Isako Imamura in memory of Shigeo Imamura, former faculty member and founder of the English as a Second Language program at USF, this fellowship is awarded to students who have exhibited scholastic ability and an interest in studying Japan and/or promoting international and cross-cultural understanding.
Application Process and Selection
Application deadline is May 5th by 5pm. Faculty Recommendation deadline is May 20th by 5pm. A committee of faculty members will review each applicant, and fellowship decisions will be made by late June.
- Complete the online application form and essay questions
- Email your unofficial transcript & current resume to email@example.com
- Ask your recommender to complete the recommendation form by the May 20th deadline. Please be sure to email your recommender the link (found in the application form). Your recommendation must be from a faculty member, mentor, advisor, or work supervisor.
- Complete FAFSA form for the Giurlani Fellowship (if applicable)
|Barbara K. Bundy Fellowship
|Barbara K. Bundy Fellowship
|Center for Asia Pacific Studies Fellowship
|Louis and Yolanda Giurani Fellowship
|Shigeo Imamura Fellowship