Zief Law Library offers a variety of services to its patrons, including research assistance and instruction, interlibrary loan and course reserves.
Our research librarians can help you with advice on research strategy and paper topics, assistance with law review citation checks, and assistance with Lexis, Westlaw, HeinOnline, and other database searches.
As a USF Law graduate, you are welcome to visit the law library after graduation. We do not charge an access fee to USF Law alumni. To access the law library, you will need to display your bar card or your free USF alumni card at the front desk and sign in. Unfortunately, we cannot grant borrowing privileges to alumni. You can obtain a free alumni card from the law school’s Alumni Relations office in Kendrick Hall 338, 415-422-5457.
When you visit the library, you may use the computers in the law library for Internet access. When you check in at the front desk, ask for your temporary Internet username and password so you can log on to the campus network. Here are some examples of the online resources that we offer to USF Law alumni and bar patrons:
- We offer WestlawNext through our "Westlaw Bar Patron Access Terminal" on the law library’s main level. While the materials available on this version of WestlawNext are more limited than the materials available to current students, you have access to federal and state case law, statutes, and regulations. You can also use KeyCite to validate cases, statutes, and regulations. This “bar patron” version of WestlawNext is only available through one computer terminal. You will not be able to access it at other library computers.
- OnLaw, the online source for CEB California practice guides;
- HeinOnline, furnishing access to full-text law reviews, some cases, federal statutes, federal legislative histories, federal regulations (Federal Register and Code of Federal Regulations), California attorney general opinions, and some California legislative history materials;
- BNA newsletters and research libraries; and
- CCH Intelliconnect resources, including tax materials.
Online Research Guides
We have comprehensive research guides that can help you get started on your research projects. Visit our research guide page, for a complete listing of all of our research guides.