Transfer Application Process

USF is a fantastic place to finish your education. Every year, we welcome nearly 500 new transfer students. You’ll get the best of a Jesuit liberal arts education and put your degree to work in the thriving, diverse, entrepreneurial city of San Francisco.

You can apply as a transfer student if:

  • You have graduated from high school and are enrolled or have been enrolled at another post-secondary college or university or;
  • You already have a degree and would like to pursue a second bachelor's degree

You have a personal USF admission counselor to guide you every step of the way. Reach out to your admission counselor if you have any questions. We’re here to support you, and we’re always happy to help.


In order to be considered for transfer to USF, you need to meet our transfer eligibility requirements:

  • At least 24 semester or 36 quarter credits of college coursework from a regionally-accredited institution (30 semester or 45 quarter units for nursing majors). If you have fewer than this, you can still apply to transfer, but a high school transcript will also be required to complete your application
  • Cumulative college GPA of 2.5 or higher (3.0 for nursing majors)
  • Be in academic and disciplinary good standing. USF defines good standing as having a term GPA of 2.00 or higher in the most recent term completed.

If you meet these requirements, you’re eligible to transfer to USF!

For all majors but nursing, there are no prerequisite courses you need to complete prior to transfer. For information on transferring for nursing, please carefully review our transfer nursing requirements.

Apply Now

Our transfer application is open for spring 2022 and fall 2022 enrollment. The application includes a personal statement to give you the opportunity to share your interest in USF and goals for transferring.

Supplemental Materials

  • Transcripts: You need to submit separate transcripts and course descriptions from all colleges or universities that you’ve previously attended, plus a certified translation if the transcript is not in English. If you have fewer than 24 semester or 36 quarter units of college credit, you also need to submit a high school transcript.

    Official Transcripts can be sent directly from your school to or via mail to:

    Office of Admission
    University of San Francisco
    2130 Fulton Street
    San Francisco, CA 94117

    For students applying to the spring 2022 or fall 2022 term, we will accept unofficial transcripts as long as they are in PDF format and clearly show your full name, your school's name, your courses, and your grades. Unreadable or illegible PDF documents will not be accepted. If you are admitted to USF and you choose to enroll, you’ll be asked to provide your official final transcript.
  • English language proficiency: If English is not your native language, you are required to submit official results of the TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, or Duolingo English test. Learn more about our English language proficiency requirements, including how to waive these requirements.
  • Certification of Finances: International students intending to study on an F-1 or J-1 visa must verify their ability to pay for their first year at USF. Once you have applied to USF, please log in to your Dons Status Page to submit the Certification of Finances form and your supporting financial documents.

    If you are intending to study at USF on a different visa (e.g. E-2, H-4, R-2, etc.), please email a copy of your visa to instead of completing this form.
  • Passport: You must upload a scan of your passport face/photo page.
  • (Optional) Gap Year Explanation: If there are any breaks in your education since you’ve graduated from secondary school, please send a short statement explaining your activities during this time to
  • (Optional) Letter of recommendation: Letters of recommendation are not required for transfer students. You may still submit one if you’d like, but we will consider all applications on equal grounds, regardless of whether you’ve submitted a letter or not. Your recommender can submit a letter on your behalf to