International Transactions & Comparative Law, LLM
The LLM in International Transactions and Comparative Law program is your gateway to a thriving career in American, international, and comparative law. The program equips students with a strong grounding in legal theory and practical skills to pursue their legal careers in the US and abroad.
Deadlines and application instructions for International Transactions & Comparative Law, LLM.
We provide recent law graduates and experienced professionals the opportunity to study in the heart of San Francisco. The program is open to those with first degrees in law or who have a similar degree or are qualified to practice law in a foreign country. Students are fully integrated with the JD program, ensuring exposure to diverse points of view and the opportunity to expand their network beyond the LLM program.
Students can tailor the program by selecting from many recommended and elective courses offered at the School of Law, prepare for a bar exam or choose to specialize. Historically, students in this program specialize in one of two areas: international business and commercial transactions or international human rights law. Students may also choose to focus their studies around preparation for the Bar Exam.
Students also enjoy the opportunity to gain practical experience through our many clinical offerings. Through the hands-on Frank C. Newman International Human Rights Law Clinic, students may travel to New York or Geneva to participate in United Nations human rights meetings and conferences, an unforgettable opportunity to put classroom knowledge into practice.
LLM Grad Makes Global Leap
With four years’ experience as legal counsel for a Moscow publishing company, Margarita Zakiyan LLM ’07 knew she wanted to continue focusing on intellectual property law. But she also knew she wanted to expand her knowledge base in that area and eventually work for a large international company.
“Working at Google means working on the most cutting-edge tech issues, things that are developing day-to-day,” Zakiyan says.
Why Join Us?
- Study in the heart of San Francisco, minutes from the Civic Center, where LLM students attend hearings at the California Supreme Court
- Get hands-on training through externships in Bay Area law firms and businesses and USF’s many in-house law clinics
- Benefit from individual counseling with faculty and career planning services
- Network with USF alumni mentors who are attorneys practicing in a variety of legal fields, from technology to business and beyond
- Prepare to take the Bar Exam and practice in the U.S., or use your LLM to enhance your expertise and credentials for work in your home country
- Secure housing in the law school’s new residence hall
My USF LLM was the turning point in my path to an international law career. Going to Geneva with the International Human Rights Law Clinic was an opportunity to put into practice the theory I learned in the classroom. I also acquired negotiation skills that I use on a daily basis.”
Laura Rivera Marinero ’09 Democratic Governance Coordinator, United Nations Development Program, El Salvador
LLM Programs in International Transaction and Comparative Law & Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Kendrick Hall, 230
San Francisco, CA 94117