Federal and State Grants

Federal Grant Programs

Federal pell grant

Federal Pell Grants are awarded based upon completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Your Expected Family Contribution is used to determine your eligibility for this award, along with your Cost of Attendance and enrollment status. Pell Grants are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's degree or professional degree. The maximum Pell Grant award can change each year based upon Congressional funding levels. Students can receive up-to six-years of Pell Grant funding.

Learn more about Federal Pell Grants

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) is for undergraduate students with exceptional financial need. Preference is given to Pell Grant recipients whose need cannot be met through federal grants or other financial aid programs. Grants range between $100 and $4,000 a year, based on financial need. Students interested in applying must file by the University's priority deadline.

Learn more about Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants

State Grant Programs

The California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) provides Cal Grant Awards to students meeting specific GPA and income levels. Students interested in applying for a first-time Cal Grant must file a FAFSA and a GPA Verification Form by March 2 prior to the start of the next academic year. Applicants who are ineligible to file the FAFSA due to citizenship status should file the California Dream Act application by March 2 for Cal Grant consideration. Typically, students can receive up-to four-years of Cal Grant funding.

Cal Grant A is a state-sponsored program designed to assist low and middle-income students with tuition and fees. Cal Grant A requires a 3.0 GPA or higher and specific income and asset levels that change each academic year.

Cal Grant B provides a living allowance and tuition assistance for low-income students. Awards for most first-year students are limited to an allowance for books and living expenses. When renewed or awarded beyond the freshman year, Cal Grant B also helps pay for tuition and fees. The awards for tuition and fees are the same as those for Cal Grant A. For Cal Grant B, your coursework must last at least one academic year.

Cal Grant B requires a 2.0 GPA or higher and specific income and asset levels that change each academic year.

For more information about additional Cal Grant requirements, visit the CSAC website or call 1-888-224-7268.

The Golden State Teacher Grants Available for Students in Teacher Preparation Program

The California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) recently released its brochure for the Golden State Teacher Grant (GSTG) program. The goal of the program is to encourage students to consider earning a teaching credential and teach in a high-need field at a priority school in California within five years after completing a teacher preparation program.

CSAC will award $20,000 Golden State Teacher Grants to over 4,400 eligible students across California, who are enrolled in a Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) approved teacher preparation program on or after January 1, 2020.

Students enrolled in our teaching credential programs are encouraged to apply for a Golden State Teacher Grant by sending an email to goldenstateteachers@csac.ca.gov.

For more information, students can visit the GSTG website or contact CSAC. A YouTube video is also available.

Important Program Update: Due in part to California’s emergency response and state budget revisions vital to responding to the COVID-19 pandemic, for the 2020-21 award year, the GSTG program was limited to teachers pursuing Special Education. However, the 2021-22 State Budget includes increased funding for the Golden State Teachers Grant program.

The program will now be open to teacher internship and residency programs which will be available soon on the application. Updates will be posted to the program page as details become available.