Veterans FAQ

How do I apply for a program at USF?

Military service members will have to meet the same requirements for admission as any other applicant.  However, we do understand that due to trainings/deployments that transfer students may not have the 24 required hours to transfer.

University of San Francisco will consider awarding credit for military service after admission.  However, admission is based solely on academic coursework and a military transcript cannot be used for admissions purposes. Typically, these units can fulfill general elective requirements but not core requirements.

Do I have to take an SAT or ACT since I’m in the military?

If you’ve not taken college coursework since graduating high school or have 12 hours or less of college credit from an accredited school, you may opt to apply as a freshman. If you choose this option, you will be required to take an SAT or ACT with writing component.

How do I apply for GI Bill Benefits?

What forms do I need to receive my benefits?

Current Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and DD214 (Ddischarge Ppapers, if applicable) for Post -911. For other VA educational benefits, please contact

I used my Post -911 (Ch. 33.) at another school. How do I update my COE?

Complete the DD-22-1995 and add USF as your current school. The VA will send you a new COE in 6-8 week via U.S. mail. If you need update or have questions about submitted application, please contact 1-415-422-3877.

How many units do I need to take to be considered a full-time student at the graduate level?

You will receive the full housing allowance if you are registered for a minimum of sixcredits for the fall and spring semesters, and a minimum of four credits for the summer semester.

Does University of San Francisco participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program?

Yes, we doHowever, online degree programs are not eligible for Yellow Ribbon Program.The University takes a limited number of students for each school. The Yellow Ribbon program is on a first -come, first -served basis. In order to add you to the Yellow Ribbon wait-list, you will need to submit your DD214 and Certificate of Eligibility (COE) after you have been accepted as a student. You will also need to be separated from the military (not on terminal leave) and eligible for 100% of the Post-9/11 (Ch. 33) benefit.

How do I know if I qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program?

The Yellow Ribbon Program is on a first come first serve basis. To receive benefits under the Yellow Ribbon Program:

  • You must be eligible for the maximum benefit rate under the Post-9/11 GI Bill
  • You must not be on active duty or a spouse using transferred entitlement
  • Your school must agree to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program
  • Your school must have not offered Yellow Ribbon to more than the maximum number of individuals, as stated in their participation agreement
  • Your school must certify your enrollment to VA and provide Yellow Ribbon Program information.

You may be eligible if you fit the following circumstances:

  • You served an aggregate period of 36 months in active duty after Sept. 10, 2001
  • You were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after Sept. 10, 2001
  • You are a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on the service eligibility criteria listed above.

May I use my military tuition assistance at USF?

No, USF has not signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with the Department of Defense so you cannot use your military tuition assistance here.

Does USF participate in the College Tuition Fee Waiver for veterans dependents benefits?

No. The College Tuition Fee Waiver applies only to California state community college, colleges, and universities.  View program information.

Which military benefits can be used at USF?

  • Post-9/11 GI Bill (Ch. 33)
  • Active Duty Montgomery GI Bill (Ch. 30)
  • Reserve and Guard Montgomery GI Bill (Ch. 1606)
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
  • Vocational Rehabilitation and Education Program (Ch. 31)
  • Dependents' Education Assistance (DEA) (Ch. 35)

For information on how to use these benefits at USF, please email

What is the monthly housing stipend for University of San Francisco for the Post-9/11 GI Bill?

Use the BAH calculator (zip code 94117, E-5 pay grade) to determine your monthly housing stipend.

I understand that the number of slots for the Yellow Ribbon Programs are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. What steps do I have to take to secure a place on the list?

To secure access to the Yellow Ribbon Program you must be accepted as a student at USF. You must provide a copy of your certificate of eligibility and your DD214, and request to be added to the Yellow Ribbon wait list. Your name is placed on the wait list at that time. At the beginning of each semester, the list is reviewed to remove students who are no longer using the YRP. As new spaces become available students are added from the wait list based on the order they were added to the wait list.

How do I get certified for my VA benefits?

Once admitted, you must pay the admissions deposit to have access to register for classes. Once you have registered for classes, email informing them you have registered. The Registrar’s Office then begins the process to certify your enrollment with the Department of Veterans’ Affairs. The Registrar’s Office must have your certificate of eligibility and your DD214 to verify the percentage of your eligibility. Provided all the required documents are received, the Registrar’s Office places you on a financial hold list to prevent your classes from being cancelled for non-payment. You may still receive notice that your classes may be cancelled, but provided your benefit status is confirmed by the Registrar’s Office you will not have your classes cancelled.

Once you are certified for enrollment with the Department of Veterans’ Affairs, the Registrar’s Office sends an email confirmation.

Once the DVA has sent your funds to the university, a review of your student account is completed and the funds are applied. If a balance remains after the adjustment, then you, the student, is responsible for paying the balance.

When can I expect to receive my housing stipend?

Students generally receive their housing stipend at the beginning of the 2nd full month of school. The amount will include any back pay that is owed.