Yellow Ribbon Program
What is the Yellow Ribbon Program?
The Yellow Ribbon Program is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows private degree-granting institutions of higher learning in the U.S. to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to fund up to 50% of the gap, if any, between an eligible student’s primary GI Bill benefit and the annual cost of tuition and fees. Yellow Ribbon matches whatever amount the school contributes.
A veteran must be receiving 100% Post-9/11 (Chapter 33) benefits in order to be eligible for Yellow Ribbon benefits. View all eligibility guidelines and GI Bill requirements for Post-9/11 benefits.
How Yellow Ribbon Works at USF
- Schools and programs at USF have committed funds to the Yellow Ribbon Program. View a full list of Yellow Ribbon schools and their financial commitments.
- There are limited openings in each school for Yellow Ribbon awards.
- The VA will match your school’s commitment. The combined school award and VA match may not exceed the difference between the recipient’s actual tuition charges, including mandatory fees, and the recipient’s basic Post 9/11 tuition benefit.
- Federal law states that Yellow Ribbon awards must be made on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- The sum total of the primary GI Bill benefit and Yellow Ribbon scholarship should not exceed the cost of tuition and fees.
- All Yellow Ribbon colleges will have their own queue.
- Applicants will be placed in the queue based on the date they present the VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE), indicating Yellow Ribbon eligibility, to USF’s registrar’s office. (Phone calls or email inquiries will not hold a place in the queue.)
Submit Certificate of Eligibility and DD-214 to:
The Office of the Registrar
University of San Francisco
2130 Fulton St.
San Francisco, CA 94117-1080
Learn more about Veteran Affairs benefits
Please contact USF's certifying officials for more information:
Assistant University Registrar
Enrollment Verifications Coordinator
Law School Students
Law School Certifying Official:
The following are Yellow Ribbon eligible programs offered at USF for 2017-2018:
|School/College||Level||No. of Students Per Year||Amount Per Student|
|College of Arts and Sciences, School of Management, School of Nursing and Health Professions (excluding Degree Completion Students)||All Undergraduate||112||$5,000|
|College of Arts and Sciences||Graduate||15||$6,074|
|School of Education||Graduate||9||$5,933|
|School of Law||Graduate||5||$5,000|
|School of Management||Graduate||35||$13,625|
|School of Nursing and Health Professions||Graduate||11||$4,810|