Yellow Ribbon Program
The Yellow Ribbon Program is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows private degree-granting institutions of higher learning in the U.S. to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to fund up to 50% of the gap, if any, between an eligible student’s primary Post-9/11 (Chapter 33) benefit and the annual cost of tuition and fees. Yellow Ribbon matches whatever amount the school contributes.
A veteran must be receiving 100% Post-9/11 (Chapter 33) benefits and not be on active duty in order to be eligible for Yellow Ribbon benefits. View all eligibility guidelines and benefit requirements for Post-9/11 benefits.
How Yellow Ribbon Works at USF
- Schools and programs at USF have committed funds to the Yellow Ribbon Program.
- Federal law states that Yellow Ribbon awards must be made on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- There are limited openings in each school for Yellow Ribbon awards. Applicants will be placed on the waitlist based on the date they submit a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and DD-214 to the Registrar’s office.
- Yellow Ribbon may only be applied after the Post-9/11 (Chapter 33) cap has been met.
- The sum total of the Post-9/11 (Chapter 33) benefit and Yellow Ribbon scholarship may not exceed the cost of tuition and fees.
Yellow Ribbon Eligible Programs Offered at USF for 2018–19
|School/College||Level||Max. SLOTS||Max. USF CONTRIBUTION Per Student*||Max. VA Contribution Per Student*|
|College of Arts and Sciences, School of Management, School of Nursing and Health Professions
(excluding Degree Completion Students)
|College of Arts and Sciences||Graduate||15||$6,074||$6,074|
|School of Education||Graduate||9||$5,933||$5,933|
|School of Management||Graduate||35||$13,625||$13,625|
|School of Nursing and Health Professions||Graduate||11||$4,810||$4,810|
Note: Online degree programs are not eligible for Yellow Ribbon benefits.
*Once the Post-9/11 (Chapter 33) cap is met, Yellow Ribbon may be applied toward your remaining tuition balance if you are eligible and the funds are needed.
Please submit your Certificate of Eligibility and DD-214 to:
The Office of the Registrar
University of San Francisco
2130 Fulton St.
San Francisco, CA 94117-1080
Fax: (415) 422-6329