Aerial view of Lone Mountain see from behind.

Residence Halls

Lone Mountain North Residence Hall

Situated on the crest of a hill, Lone Mountain overlooks the USF campus and offers students spectacular views of the surrounding areas, including the Golden Gate Bridge, Marin Headlands, and Farallon Islands.

Remote video URL
Remote video URL

Population

  • Male and female residents
  • 300 residents
  • Second Year, Continuing, Transfer

Building

  • Male and female residents
  • 300 residents
  • Second Year, Continuing, Transfer

Living-Learning Community

Community Areas

  • Four student lounges
  • Laundry room (laundry services are free to residents)
  • Two kitchens, each with refrigerator, stovetop, oven, and microwave
  • The communal kitchen in this residence hall will be closed during fall 2021

Recreation

  • Cable TV connector in each room
  • Flat screen TVs in lounges
  • Piano

Internet

  • WiFi throughout building

Security

  • 24-hour front desk
  • Key card required to access residential floors
  • Key card and code required to access rooms

Location

  • Turk St., between Masonic and Parker St.
  • Closest dining facilities: Open Door and Koret Lodge

History

Originally purchased in 1860 by the first Archbishop of San Francisco Joseph Alemany, the grounds of Lone Mountain were acquired in 1930 by an order of Catholic nuns, the Society of the Sacred Heart. They contracted the construction of the Spanish Gothic building and the Spanish Steps that exist today. This structure was completed in 1932 and became the San Francisco College for Women, which provided a college education to women until 1969. That year, the college became co-educational and changed its name to Lone Mountain College. After facing financial issues, Lone Mountain College closed in 1978 and was purchased by USF, marking a significant expansion of the USF campus.