USF welcomes visiting students throughout the year. You can study here during a summer session or for an academic fall or spring semester. Being located in the center of one of the most diverse and vibrant cities of the world, USF provides a one of a kind experience and opportunities.
Visiting Students during the Summer
The summer provides great opportunity to take classes and lose your heart in San Francisco either through our 3-week, 6-week, or 12-week courses. Students enrolled in undergraduate courses during the summer enjoy reduced tuition and USF housing rates. For details on tuition and housing rates, please visit the Tuition and Fees page.
Visiting Students during the Academic Year
Choose from thousands of courses offer at USF at both the undergraduate and graduate level.
Dates and Deadlines
|Intersession 2016||Nov. 23, 2015 -
Jan. 4, 2016*
|Nov. 23, 2015||Jan. 5, 2016|
|Spring 2016||Nov. 23, 2015 -
Jan. 25, 2016*
|Nov. 23, 2015||Jan. 29, 2016|
|Summer 2016||Coming Soon||Coming Soon||Coming Soon|
|*Students applying after the online application period may apply in person in Lone Mountain 203 (Admission Office).|
How to Become a Visiting Student
- Search for Classes: Search the Schedule of Classes to review course offerings in the term you plan to visit. To search, select a term from the "Search by Term" drop down menu and click "Submit". Choose a subject and click “Class Search.” Enrollment limits and restrictions can be viewed by clicking on the blue course name link.
- Apply as a Visiting Student: Apply online using the USF Application. Once your application is received, you will receive an admission decision via email in two business days. If accepted, your login information will be included within that notification. Note that reapplication is required for each enrollment period.
- International Visiting Students: Check if your United States visa type is eligible for study. USF does not issue I-20 forms to visiting students, but F-1 students currently in the U.S. are eligible to be a visiting student at USF, as long as they continue to maintain full-time F-1 status at another school. All non-immigrant visa holders should complete the Visiting International Student Request Form in addition to their application to verify their ability to study.
- Register for Classes: Visiting students who wish to enroll in undergraduate classes may register online through myUSF or in person at the One Stop Office (Lone Mountain Room 251). Learn how to register online.
- Undergraduate courses (000-499): Approval from the department is not required. However, if a course has prerequisites or restrictions, contact the department to request an override.
- Graduate courses (500-799): Please contact the appropriate Graduate Program Director to obtain permission to take a graduate level course.
- Pay for Classes: Tuition charges will be applied to your student account when you register for classes and payment is due immediately. You can access your account and make payment via myUSF View & Pay. USF accepts various methods of payment or you may create a payment plan. For complete instructions, please visit tuition and billing for tuition and fees.
- Submit Proof of Immunization: Visiting students born after 1957 must submit proof of immunization to: USF Student Health Clinic Mary's Medical Center 450 Stanyan St., 11 West (2nd Floor) San Francisco, CA 94117 Direct: (415) 750-4980 Fax: (415) 750-8155
- Apply to Live On-Campus (Summer only): Apply to live in summer housing. You must be enrolled in summer courses to live on campus. Your stay in USF operated housing must align with the dates of your summer classes. For more information about your housing accommodations, please visit the housing website.