Transfer Core Curriculum Courses
|AREA A: FOUNDATIONS OF COMMUNICATIONS|
e.g. Public Speaking, Argumentation etc.
Not Acceptable: e.g. Interpersonal Communication, Group Dynamics, Theatre
|A2: Rhetoric and Composition ** MUST be completed at USF
This requirement is fulfilled by completing Rhetoric and Composition 250 at USF. Students transferring with one or two transferable English Composition courses with a minimum grade of C- will be placed into RHET 250 or RHET 295 Academic Writing at USF.
|AREA B: MATHEMATICS AND THE SCIENCES|
|B1: Math or Quantitative Science
e.g. Statistics or higher
Not Acceptable: e.g. College Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, courses below Calculus
|B2: Applied Laboratory Science
e.g. Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Astronomy, Environmental Science etc.
MUST have a Lab
Not Acceptable: e.g. Nutrition, any science course without an applied lab component
|AREA C: HUMANITIES|
e.g. World, American or English Literature etc.
Not Acceptable: e.g. English Composition, Critical Thinking & Writing
e.g. U.S./World History, Western Civilizations, History of Native/African/Asian Americans, History of Women etc.
Not Acceptable: e.g. American Government, History of California / Science
|AREA D: PHILOSOPHY, THEOLOGY AND ETHICS|
e.g. Introduction to Philosophy, History of Philosophy etc.
Not Acceptable: e.g. Critical Thinking, Logic, Moral Philosophy
e.g. World or Comparative Religions etc.
Not Acceptable: e.g. Bible as Literature, Witchcraft & Magic
e.g. Ethics, Moral Problems, Business Ethics etc.
Not Acceptable: e.g. Business Law
|AREA E: SOCIAL SCIENCES|
|e.g. Intro to Sociology, Psychology, Political Science, Economics, Anthropology etc.
Not Acceptable: Intro to Business; Intro to Human Services; Intro to Social Work
|AREA F: VISUAL AND PERFORMING ARTS|
|e.g. Art History/Appreciation, Music Appreciation, Introduction to Theater etc.(critical analysis, history or appreciation of the arts)
Not Acceptable: Painting, Drawing, Guitar, Music Theory, Acting (any activity based course)
|SERVICE LEARNING & CULTURAL DIVERSITY ** (May Double Count with a Major Requirement)|
|SL Service Learning – ** MUST be completed at USF|
|CD Cultural Diversity may transfer, subject to review e.g. Intro to African/Asian American Studies, Music of Multicultural America|
International Business majors and all students enrolled in the College of Arts and Sciences must also complete a language requirement. International Business students and Bachelor of Science candidates in the College of Arts and Sciences must complete two semesters of the same language. Bachelor of Arts candidates must complete three semesters.
Notes for Credits and Courses
- Transferable courses must be taken at a regionally accredited college or university.
- USF operates on a semester system. Courses taken at a college that operates on the quarter system are converted by multiplying the number of units by 0.67. For example, a 5 quarter credit course will equal to 3.35 semester credits at USF.
- Completion of the core areas is NOT required for admission. However, at least 1 course in each core area and a total of 44 semester credits must be completed for graduation.
- A course must be at least 3 semester credits or 4 quarter credits to fulfill a core requirement.
- Two of the core requirements, Rhetoric and Composition (A2) and the Service Learning (SL) MUST be completed at USF.
- Most courses that transfer to the California State University (CSU) or the University of California (UC) are transferable to USF, with a few exceptions.
- Developmental/remedial courses that are pre-requisites to college level courses, (i.e Elementary Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, Developmental Reading/Writing) are NOT transferable.
- California Community College students: please check the Articulation Agreements we have with many colleges to help you select courses at your college. If you have completed the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) requirements, USF will waive the core requirements except for Areas A1, A2, D1, D2, D3, service learning (SL) and foreign language (if applicable).
- The Foreign Language requirement CAN NOT be satisfied by completing two years of study in that language at the High school level. A score of 3 on the Advanced Placement (AP) exam can receive general credit but only a score of 4 or 5 can fulfill the foreign language requirement.
- Second Degree Students: If you hold a Bachelor’s degree from a U.S. regionally accredited college or University, the core requirements will be waived with the exception of Areas A1, D1, D2, D3, service learning (SL) and foreign language (if applicable).
Please note that the Guide to the Core Curriculum should be used as a resource to help select courses at your institution that will transfer and satisfy USF’s core curriculum requirements. The information provided in this guide is subject to change at any time at the discretion of the University.
Although we do not provide a detailed credit evaluation prior to admission, all admitted students will receive a credit evaluation that indicates which courses transferred and how those courses apply towards graduation requirements.
For more information about transferring to USF, admission requirements and frequently asked questions (FAQs) please visit our website at usfca.edu/admission/transfer. If you have additional questions or need further assistance, you may contact Transfer Admission at email@example.com.