How to Apply
Eligible students will be invited to apply to the Black Scholars Program. If invited to apply, you'll be notified via email in early February.
Currently, only incoming first-year (non-transfer) Black and Black identified students from the U.S. are eligible to apply. In addition, you must have:
- At least a 3.5 GPA
- Evidence of leadership and service during high school
- Demonstrated commitment to serving under-resourced communities
Students from all majors, including undeclared majors, are eligible to apply.
Eligible students will be invited to apply to the Black Scholars Program. A complete admission file is needed in order to determine eligibility no later than January 27, 2023. This includes:
- Unofficial or official high school transcripts
- Official SAT or ACT scores, if you chose to include test scores in your application. Your BSP application will not be penalized if you applied test optional.
- Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
If you are invited to apply to the Black Scholars Program, you will be asked to complete a separate online application by February 17, 2023 where you will:
- Write two short (300-word) essays
- Provide a letter of recommendation
Your letter of recommendation should come from someone (other than a relative or a peer) who is knowledgeable about your experience, character, and qualifications, and who can speak to why you would be a good fit for the Black Scholars Program.
If you are selected as a finalist, you will participate in a virtual interview with the BSP selection committee in mid-April. Final decisions will be emailed within a week after your interview.
Dates & Deadlines
- January 27, 2023: Deadline to submit missing materials (e.g. transcripts and/or test scores, if you chose to include them in your application) to be considered for the BSP program
- Early February: If invited to apply to the Black Scholars Program, you will be notified via email
- February 17, 2023: Deadline to submit BSP application
- Mid-March: If selected as a finalist, you will be notified via email
- Mid April: Finalists will participate in a virtual interview with the BSP selection committee
- Late April: Final decisions will be sent via email
- May 1: Deadline to commit to USF and submit enrollment deposit