Professor and Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs
Michelle Millar researches sustainability and corporate social responsibility in the lodging, meeting, and event management industries. She studies the choices travelers make when choosing sustainable travel products and what factors are most important to them when it comes to sustainable hospitality products and services.
She developed a framework used by hospitality educators and industry professionals to identify the sustainable skills most needed by students when entering the industry.
Students in her courses learn how to integrate socially and environmentally conscientious practices into their businesses and surrounding communities and address the important implications for industry marketing.
- Sustainability in the hospitality and tourism industries
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Associate Dean, Undergraduate Programs, 2021-Present
- Administration Co-Chair, SOM Strategic Planning Committee, 2021-Present
- Co-director, Center for Research, Artistic and Scholarly Excellence (CRASE), 2020-2021
- Department Chair, Hospitality Management, 2017-2020
- Co-chair, Undergraduate Program Committee, School of Management, 2017-2020
- Member, Faculty Governance Council, School of Management, 2017-2021
- PhD, Hospitality Administration, University of Nevada Las Vegas, 2009
- Masters, Tourism and Hospitality, Administration, Temple University, 2003
- BA, International Relations, UC Davis, 1988
Awards & Distinctions
University of San Francisco, School of Management, Outstanding Service Award, 2016
W. Bradford Wiley Memorial Best Research Paper of the Year Award, 2012
Best Dissertation Award, University of Nevada, 2009
The following list is a selection of recent publications and does not represent the entire body of research.
- Collins, M., & Millar, M. (2019). Tourists’ perceptions of destination image, safety, and aggressive street behavior. International Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Administration.
- Millar, M. (2019). Sustainable Meetings and Events. In Fenich, G. (Ed.), Meetings, Expositions, Events, and Conventions: An Introduction to the Industry (pp. 225-244). Boston, MA: Pearson.
- Millar, M., & Park, S. Y. (2018). Industry Professionals' Perceptions of Sustainability in Meeting and Event Education. Journal of Teaching in Travel and Tourism, 18(2), 123-137.
- Millar, M., Collins, M., & Jones, D. (2017). Exploring the relationship between destination image, aggressive street behavior, and tourist safety. Journal of Hospitality Marketing and Management, 26(7), 735-751.
- Collins, M., Millar, M., & Jones, D. (2017). Hotel Council of San Francisco and corporate social responsibility. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Cases, 5(3), 44-50.