Associate Professor Thomas Maier brings to USF more than 20 years of industry experience, a wealth of current research, and a honed experiential teaching methodology. Prior to academia, Professor Maier was a senior level executive in the hotel, restaurant, and food and beverage industries. His research interests include generational leadership, revenue management theory, and experiential learning.
In the classroom, Professor Maier centers his pedagogy on experiential learning and visible thinking routines. Prior to joining USF, he taught graduate courses in strategic process of service firms, hospitality distribution systems, service leadership and innovation, and service systems design and innovation at the School of Hospitality Leadership, Driehaus College of Business, at DePaul University and the Rochester Institute of Technology. His hidden hobby is writing generational ethnographic biographies in French gastronomy.
- Hotel and Restaurant Operations
- Design Thinking
- Revenue Management
- Revenue Management
- Generational Leadership
- Experiential Learning
- Chair, School of Management Faculty Development Committee
- Executive Director of the School of Management Malloy Group for Organizational Science Consulting
- Gonzaga University, Ph.D in Leadership Philosophy, 2008
- Salve Regina University, MA in Human Development/International Relations, 2004
- Rochester Institute of Technology, BS in Hotel and Tourist Enterprises, 1984
- Assistant Professor in Hospitality Management, DePaul University
- Visiting Professor in Service Leadership and Innovation, Rochester Institute of Technology
- President, GVD Hospitality Corporation
- Vice President of Hotel Operations, Red Lion Corporation (NYSE: RLH)
Awards & Distinctions
University of San Francisco School of Management Outstanding Research Award 2017
International Council of Hotel and Institutional Educators-Penn State Outstanding Research Award 2017
Journal of Hospitality Tourism Research Editorial Review Board-2016-2019
Cornell Quarterly Editorial Review Board-2012
- Maier, T., Intrevado, P. (2018). Function Space Revenue Management: A product bundling pricing approach to hotel function space utilization. Journal of Convention and Event Tourism,19(3)188-203
- Maier, T. (2017). Convention hotel food and beverage multi-factor cost analysis. Journal of Foodservice Business Research, 20(1) 514-524.
- Maier, T., Reynolds, D., Sandstrom, J. (2016). Multi-unit efficiency assessment and multidimensional polygon analysis of a small, full-service restaurant chain. Penn State Research Reports.
- Maier T., Prusty, S. (2016). Managing customer retention in private clubs using Churn analysis: some empirical findings. Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management, 25 (7), 797-819
- Noone, B., Maier, T. (2015). A Decision framework for restaurant revenue management. Journal of Pricing and Revenue Management, 14(1), 231–244.