Associate Professor and Director of Executive Education
As a faculty member with the University of San Francisco School of Management since 2013, Professor Maier has taught courses including revenue optimization, business modeling and ideation, Agile-project management, management and organizational dynamics, food service, and culinary arts entrepreneurship. He is also the director of executive education at the School of Management and the executive director of the Malloy Center for Organizational Science Consulting at USF.
He brings more than 20 years of hotel operations and development experience as a Director of food & beverage and hotel operations vice president for Starwood Hotels and Red Lion Hospitality Corporations. His scholarly research interests include applied leadership, revenue management theory, and service system design.
- Agile project management
- Design thinking consulting
- Business modeling
- Service system design - Innovation
- Revenue management
- Generational leadership
- Director, Executive Education-School of Management
- Executive Director, Malloy Group for Organizational Science Consulting
- Program Coordinator, Hospitality Management
- Gonzaga University, Ph.D in Leadership Philosophy, 2008
- Salve Regina University, MA in Human Development/International Relations, 2004
- Rochester Institute of Technology, BS in Hotel and Tourist Enterprises, 1984
- Assistant Professor in Hospitality Leadership, DePaul University
- Visiting Professor in Service Design and innovation, Rochester Institute of Technology
- Vice President of Hotel Operations-Red Lion Hospitality Corporation
- Director of Food and Beverage, Starwood Hotel's Luxury Collection (Hawaiian Islands)
Awards & Distinctions
- University of San Francisco Outstanding Teaching Award, 2023
- University of San Francisco Outstanding Research Award, 2017
- Roberts, C., Maier, T. (2023). The Evolution of Service Towards Automated Customer Assistance: There is a difference. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management.
- Gursoy, D., Maier, T. (2023). Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: Value centered leadership as a conduit for change. Journal of Hospitality Marketing and Management, 32(4) pp.445-453.
- Poole, S.M., Maier, T., Wiss, B., Smith, S. (2022). Game based learning in wine education. Journal of Hospitality Tourism & Education, 34(3) pp.210-215.
- Maier, T., Edwards, K. (2020). Service system design and automation. Journal of Hospitality, 2(1-2) pp.1-14
- Maier, T., Intrevado, P. (2018). Function space revenue management: A product bundling pricing approach to hotel function space utilization. Journal of Convention and Event Tourism, 19(3) pp.188-203.