Marriage & Family Therapy Master's Program
Degree Requirements & Program Learning Outcomes
We are committed to embracing diversity, academic excellence, and to the compassionate service of children, adults, and families. The MFT program embodies this mission by:
- Expanding traditional notions of family
- Recognizing the diversity in relationships and identity
- Striving to use inclusive language in our instruction
- Creating goals to diversify our student body and teaching faculty
- Working from a strengths-based perspective that honors community wealth
- Adapting professional trends as needed to meet community needs
The 60-unit program, offered in a two or three year format, meets all educational requirements of the California Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBS) for both licensure as a Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) and a Professional Clinical Counselor (PCC). Students will be eligible to pursue the MFT license upon completion of the program requirements, and also have the option to pursue the PCC license with successful completion of additional fieldwork requirements during the program. Our curriculum blends rigorous and collaborative classroom learning with action through community mental health fieldwork opportunities as diverse as the city we call home.
- New cohorts begin their studies each fall; we no longer offer spring-semester start dates.
During their third year, students enter a traineeship with Bay Area community-based and school-based partners. These organizations emphasize their services, mission, and training, providing students with important industry information and opportunities to apply for internships.
MFT Faculty and Students Supporting Survivors of Hurricane Harvey
"I worked with a woman who said she felt helpless... I advocated on her behalf to Houston police officers. She was able to finally sign up for FEMA housing and was approved. She came to me on my last day at the shelter telling me how grateful she is to have had someone listen to her." — Abbey Lozano, Counseling Psychology Student