The application process is entirely online. No items need to be mailed, upload all of your application items to your application account.
- Create an account. Then, complete the application at your own pace.
- Ensure that your uploaded documents are easy to view online.
- Complete all required sections.
- Save often, submit once. You may access and update your application as many times as you like before submission. You are encouraged to submit your completed application a few weeks before the deadline.
For requirements for all School of Education programs, visit the general admission requirements page.
For international students, please visit the international student requirements page.
- Completed online application with non-refundable $55 application fee.
- One set of unofficial transcripts from each university/college previously attended. For U.S. applicants, the degree must be from a regionally accredited university/college. An applicant with a pending degree must provide official verification of expected degree completion from institution's Registrar or school official. An undergraduate degree is required to apply to a master's program. A master's degree is required to apply for a doctoral program. Please note: if admitted you will need to submit official transcripts prior to enrolling.
- Applicants must have earned their Bachelor's and/or Masters' degrees from a regionally accredited institution. They must provide a background of academic preparation and/or professional experience that demonstrates their ability to pursue graduate level programs.
- Recommended GPA of 2.75.
- Two current letters of recommendation, noting suitability for graduate work.
- Current résumé.
- Statement of Intent: Describe your interest in becoming a classroom teacher, relevant experience, connection to our social justice mission, and qualities/aspirations you would bring to our program. Also tell us why you have chosen to apply to Teacher Education and USF (2-4 pages, double spaced).
BASIC SKILLS REQUIREMENT AND SUBJECT MATTER REQUIREMENT
The Basic Skills Requirement (BSR) and the Subject Matter Requirement (SMR) are not required for admission to USF.
The BSR and SMR are requirements defined by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) and must be met at specific times during your USF program.
New legal options have created opportunities for students to meet these requirements using previous coursework or exams. You can review CTC-approved options for meeting the BSR and SMR requirements here.
Many students find that their previous coursework satisfies one or both of these requirements. If you are planning to meet BSR or SMR by previous coursework, please note that your coursework will be reviewed for BSR in your first semester at USF and for SMR in your second semester. USF does not review previous coursework prior to enrollment.
If it is determined that you will need to take additional tests to meet the BSR or SMR requirements, USF offers a free, weekly CSET support class to enrolled USF Teacher Education Department students. A portion of the class also covers the BSR.
Additionally, the USF School of Education will pay for a two-month subscription to 240 Tutoring, an online CSET testing support program, for enrolled Teacher Education Department students. Students may choose to enroll in 240 Tutoring after, or in place of, the CSET support class.
Note: International students who will study on a F-1 student visa must complete the BSR and SMR requirements prior to applying to a USF credential program. Contact email@example.com if you have questions about these requirements.