Latin American Studies
Look across disciplinary lines as you take Latin American Studies courses in the Humanities, Literature and the Arts, and the Social Sciences. Learn Spanish and study in Latin America for a summer or a semester and gain a profound understanding of the region and its peoples. Prepare yourself for a future where a Latin American Studies degree will give you the skills to navigate and thrive in the increasingly interconnected Americas.
Our interdisciplinary curriculum provides a dynamic view of Latin America to students curious about the region's complex and vibrant societies.The structure of the major and minor is rigorous and flexible. Students have the choice of completing requirements for the major in a three-year accelerated course of studies.
See our catalog for details.
An integral part of the program includes various study abroad immersions in Latin America and the Caribbean, many of which are specifically designed for LAS by its devoted faculty.
The faculty is one of the biggest draws of the program. They organize meaningful film festivals, theater, music, and dance performances, conferences by international guest speakers and more.
The San Francisco Advantage
California's fast-growing immigrant population from Latin America together with its Latino population makes San Francisco a vital ground for the study of Latin America in relation to the United States.
What can I do with a degree in Latin American Studies?
- Pursue graduate work in many disciplines, from International Studies to Global business with an informed emphasis in Latin America.
- Join local and/or international NGOs focused on issues such as: human rights, micro-financing, environmental rights and migration.
- Work with city governance on housing rights for disenfranchised migrant communities, or against gentrification and displacement of these communities.
- Bring a wider understanding of Latin America to your classroom if you become a teacher, to your clients if you become a consultant, to your patients if you are in the health professions or social work.
- Seek employment with government and multilateral agencies dedicated to social, political and economic exchange with Latin America.
Office of Latin American Studies
firstname.lastname@example.org (415) 422-2940