Already credentialed teachers interested in Master of Arts in Teaching Reading degree and California Reading and Literacy Added Authorization
- Candidates who already possess a California teaching credential with English learner authorization may enroll in the MATR/Reading and Literacy Added Authorization Program and complete a total of 30 units of study (14 units in reading and language arts plus 16 units of related electives in the USF School of Education).
- Upon completion of three years of classroom teaching as teacher of record, apply through USF to the CA Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) to add the “Added Authorization in Reading and Literacy” to your credential.
Apply for the Master of Arts in Teaching Reading Program
Already credentialed teachers interested in California Reading and Literacy Added Authorization only
- Candidates who already possess a California teaching credential with English learner authorization may enroll in the Reading and Literacy Added Authorization Program and complete 14 units of reading coursework without pursuing a masters degree.
Apply for the Teaching Reading Certificate Program
- The reading coursework is organized as a 4-semester sequence (summer, fall, spring, summer) in a cohort model that starts every summer.
- All courses, including electives, are offered in an evening and weekend format to accommodate working educators with the exception of the culminating summer when candidates must be available during weekday daytime hours for the Summer Reading Program.
- To begin the reading coursework sequence, candidates must have completed the following pre-requisite courses or equivalent courses:
- For multiple subjects teachers:
- TEC 621 Early Literacy
- TEC 612 Reading Language Arts (Intermediate Literacy)
- TEC 616 Student Teaching I (Multiple Subjects)
- For single subjects teachers:
- TEC 625 Teaching Adolescents
- TEC 622 Academic Literacy
- TEC 618 Student Teaching I (Single Subjects)
- Already credentialed candidates completing elective courses for the MATR (option 2) may enroll in electives before, concurrent and/or after completing reading coursework.
- Already enrolled USF credential candidates who wish to transfer from MAT (Master of Arts in Teaching) to MATR, may request a “Petition for Interprogram Transfer” from the Teacher Education Department. MAT candidates may also add the Reading and Literacy Added Authorization to their masters program (option 3).
For those earning a master's and a credential, the preliminary teaching credentials offered in conjunction with the Master of Arts in Teaching Reading are:
- Preliminary Multiple Subject Credential with an optional Bilingual Authorization in Spanish | 36-40 credits.
- Preliminary Single Subject Credential with an optional Bilingual Authorization in Spanish | 34-38 credits.
Required Coursework | 14 credits
- Summer 1
- TEC 655 - Fluency and Comprehension for Linguistically Diverse Learners
- TEC 661 - Assessment and Intervention with Struggling Readers (3)
- TEC 662 - Tutoring Practicum: Primary Level (1)
- TEC 663 - Tutoring Practicum: Intermediate Level (1)
- TEC 670 - Literacy Leadership, Research and Practice (3)
- Summer 2
- TEC 671 - Reading Practicum: Supervised Field Experiences (3)
Master's only option
Beyond these 14 credits, those who pursue the master's degree without simultaneous enrollment in USF's teaching credential program must also complete 16 credits of electives in the area of reading and language arts.
Note: To join a cohort of the MATR program, candidates must have completed:
- TEC 621 - Multiple Subject Curriculum and Instruction: Early Literacy (3) or equivalent course
- TEC 612 - Multiple Subject Curriculum and Instruction: Reading & Language Arts in the Intermediate Grades (3) or equivalent course
- TEC 616 - Multiple Subject Student Teaching I (2) or
TEC 660 - Single Subject Student Teaching I (2) or equivalent course
Course descriptions are available in the Loading....