Teachers with Bilingual Authorization are in high demand for teaching positions in the Bay Area and throughout California. The Bilingual Authorization in Spanish is open to candidates who satisfy language proficiency requirements. Students must demonstrate satisfactory language proficiency competence prior to enrolling in Bilingual Authorization courses. The Bilingual Authorization can be combined with any of our Teacher Education programs as well as our Special Education Master's program.
The Bilingual Authorization Certification Program Philosophy
- Recognize the language rights of Spanish-speaking students
- View bilingualism as an asset
- Meet instructional needs of bilingual learners in bilingual & English language settings
- Support and promote primary-language programs for bilingual students
- Understand methodological practices that support the first and second language
acquisition of Spanish-speaking students
- Hilltop Schedule: Courses meet for 10 weeks on Wednesday evenings from 7:30-10 p.m.
- Additional Location Schedule (Santa Rosa, South Bay, Sacramento & Pleasanton): Courses meet online in an asynchronous format.
Bilingual Authorization candidates are required to pass the USF Bilingual Authorization exam and take two additional courses alongside their credential program: