- Family Nurse Practitioners provide patient care in a variety of settings, including home health, hospitals, offices, industry, schools, community agencies, public/private clinics, and private practices.
- Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioners diagnose, conduct therapy, and prescribe medications for patients who have psychiatric disorders, medical organic brain disorders, or substance abuse problems.
The FNP and PMHNP certificates can be completed in as little as one (1) year with classes offered year-round in Fall, Spring and Summer. Total credits required for completion can range between 35 - 38 credits. The number of courses taken per semester may be reduced to slow the pace of completion. Reducing course load may impact progression. Transfer credit may be given for courses taken at other accredited institutions that are substantially equivalent to USF’s courses, up to a maximum of 12 credit hours.
- Clinical Hours: A minimum of 500 supervised, direct-patient care clinical hours are required for Nurse Practitioner certification.
- Delivery Format: Courses are delivered via a hybrid model – an approach that encompasses both in-person teaching and distance learning. You attend Teaching Weekends (Friday (8 a.m. – 9 p.m.) and Saturday (8 a.m. – 5 p.m.). In-person requirements for courses will be confirmed by faculty.
Application Requirements, Process, and Deadline
The following requirements are considered in the review of applications:
- A completed online application and fee
- Completion of a DNP degree from an accredited nursing program
- Unofficial transcripts from all colleges/universities attended. Transcripts should be uploaded through the online application form. Transcripts must reflect the name of the institution attended, degree earned, grades earned, and GPA.
- Recommended grade point average of 3.0 or higher
- One letter of recommendation: Applicants are required to submit letters of recommendation from individuals who can attest to their competence and ability to be successful at a graduate level of study.
- A professional résumé
- Statement of professional goals
- Documentation of an unencumbered RN license
Please note that tuition rates and fees are subject to change and more information can be found about tuition and graduate student fees on the university tuition and fees schedule. In addition to tuition, there are fees for graduate students, including mandatory health insurance and Associate Graduate Students of USF (AGSUSF) annually.
Please check our State Authorization Status List for the states and territories from which we can enroll students in specific online degree programs.