Dr. Horton-Deutsch is currently the Director of the University of San Francisco and Kaiser Permanente Partnership. She has led in academic and practice settings for 35 years as an advanced practice psychiatric/mental health nurse, teacher/practitioner, consultant, program director, caring science endowed chair, coach, and academic/practice partnership director. Through her academic and practice career, she has contributed to evidence-informed knowledge development to ensure safety and quality...
- Rush University, PhD in Nursing, 1992
- Rush University, MSN in Psych Nursing, 1988
- University of Evansville, BSN in Nursing, 1986
- Reflective practice
- Caring science
- Holistic health
For the past 30 plus years, Dr. Mortell has worked in varied nursing settings, which include medical-surgical nursing, community health, oncology, and psychiatry; currently, she serves as an associate professor and the current director of the Online RN-MSN program at USF.
Her courses include: Ethics and Health Care Policy, Community Health Nursing, Transitions to Graduate Education and Scholarly Writing, Assessment Across the Lifespan, Advanced Pathophysiology and Pharmacology, Informatics...
- University of San Francisco, Doctor of Nursing Practice, 2014
- California State University, Masters in Nursing Education, 2009
- California State University, Bachelors in Nursing, 1998
- Psychosocial Nursing
- Organizational Culture
- Community Health
Amanda Burke-Aaronson teaches in the Bachelor’s and Master’s in nursing programs. Her focus is women’s health, obstetric and neonatal nursing. Her professional experience is as a mother-baby nurse (postpartum and well-baby) as well as a newborn intensive care nurse. She is a volunteer birth doula – a non-medical labor and birth support person – as well. She has a side focus on advocating for, and striving to bring appropriate gender-affirming healthcare for transgender people, especially in our...
Lisa Brozda shares her passion for obstetrical nursing, teaching all areas of OB, including theory, OB simulation lab, and clinical lab. She has worked for decades as a staff nursing in all areas of OB (antepartum, intrapartum, postpartum, and neonatal intensive care), later transitioning to practice as a Clinical Nurse Specialist for labor/delivery and postpartum.
- Dominican University, MSN in Nursing, 2004
- University of Colorado, BSN in Nursing
- Obstetrical Nursing
- Public Health
Elena Capella is an experienced educator who teaches leadership, health care quality, and regulatory compliance. Dr. Capella enjoys working with health care professionals who are completing their graduate degrees in nursing. Her doctoral research focuses on the leadership challenges faced by physicians transitioning from independent clinicians to health care system administrators and how these leaders support the improvement of clinical services.
Dr. Capella has worked as a consultant on...
- Ed.D., University of San Francisco
Dr. Cathy Coleman’s professional career and her passion for nursing and education includes decades of experience across multiple clinical settings and organizations as a nurse, consultant, and volunteer. Most of her career focused on oncology; she specialized in comprehensive breast center development and quality/performance improvement, spending years as a consultant for clients that include a medical device startup. After ten years with a CMS-funded Quality Improvement Organization in San...
- DNP, Nursing, Healthcare Systems Leadership, University of San Francisco
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN), University of San Francisco
- Diploma, Nursing, Thomas Jefferson School of Nursing
Mary Lou De Natale has expertise in community mental health and telehealth case management with the underserved in the community and their partners / families. For the past twenty nine years, she has been involved in the bachelors, masters, and DNP programs (committee member of doctoral dissertations in the School of Education and School of Nursing and Health Professions - DNP projects). Her professional and personal mission, clinical practice, and research revolve around health care advocacy...
- Post-Doctoral Academic Program of Study, Social and Behavioral Health-Health Policy
- University of San Francisco, EdD
- San Jose State University, MSN
- University of San Francisco, BSN
- Community and mental health nursing
- Maternal-child nursing and pediatric
Dr. John Hurley loves to teach and has been teaching in the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program at USF for over eight years. He has thirty-seven years of experience as a clinical nurse, fifteen as nursing staff development and eight years of pediatric simulation teaching experience. He created and implemented a program for developing, nurturing, and sustaining the interior life of the nurse.
- DNP. Samuel Merritt University, Oakland, CA
- MSN, Sonoma State University, Rohnert Park, CA
- Multiple Subjects Teaching Credential, San Francisco State University, San Francisco, CA
Professor Knapp has over ten years of experience working as a registered nurse in multiple community hospitals and large teaching facilities. She's had the opportunity to work as a Registered Nurse in the intensive care unit, emergency department, medical telemetry and observation units as well as a sepsis coordinator for two community hospitals.
She has an interest in medication-assisted therapy for opioid use disorder, and her DNP project centered on the development and implementation of...
- University of San Francisco, Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP), Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP), 2019
- Baylor University, BSN, 2010
- Sepsis Coordinator, Mercy Hospital of Folsom and Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital
- Registered Nurse, North 1 Emergency Department Annex, UC Davis Medical Center
- Adjunct Faculty, University of San Francisco
- Travel Registered Nurse, American Mobile...
Dr. Jo Loomis is a Family Nurse Practitioner and an Assistant Professor at the University of San Francisco School of Nursing and Health Professions. Dr. Loomis received her DNP from the University of Minnesota and has maintained certifications in the women’s health areas of lactation and menopause as well as certification as a Simulation Healthcare Educator (CHSE).
Dr. Loomis has spent the last 10 years developing expertise in the use of simulation as a teaching modality to undergraduate and...
- DNP, University of Minnesota
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner, San Jose State University
- BSN, University of Missouri
- Primary Care
- Healthcare for Vulnerable Populations
- Physiologic Childbirth
- Lactation Support
As a tenured Professor, Dr. Nosek teaches the maternity and epidemiology courses for the MSN program, and health behavior theory and communication, maternal child health elective, and applied practice experience courses for the MPH program. Previously, she has taught cultural & linguistic preparation for healthcare, nursing research, introduction to public health, and immersion courses to Colombia and Cuba.
Her research involves both quantitative and qualitative methodologies spanning broadly...
- UC San Francisco, PhD in Nursing, 2007
- UC San Francisco, MS & Certified Nurse Midwife, 2004
- UC Berkeley, MPH, Specialty Areas of Maternal/Child & International Health, 2002
- CSU Monterey Bay, BA...
- Maternal child health
- Community health
- Nonviolent communication
Dr. Stefan Rowniak has been teaching at USF since 2011 after a long career as a Registered Nurse and a Family Nurse Practitioner. He started his nursing career with a BSN from the University of San Francisco in 1985 when the HIV/AIDS epidemic was decimating the local community. Subsequently, he joined the frontlines of the fight against the AIDS epidemic by arranging his senior preceptorship at the newly opened “AIDS Ward” at San Francisco General Hospital. After graduating with his BSN, he...
- Post-Doctoral Student, University of California, San Francisco
- PhD, Nursing, University of California, San Francisco
- MSN, Family Nurse Practitioner, University of California, San Francisco
Dr Nancy Selix is an international speaker, researcher, and publisher author on the topics of maternal mental health, transgender care, and women's health. She is passionate about these areas of healthcare and has numerous publications, podium presentations, webinars, and research projects on these topics.
Dr Selix teaches healthcare policy and ethics and scholarly writing in the School of Nursing and Health Professions for doctoral students. Additionally, she has a thriving clinical practice...
- Post-DNP, Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing Practitioner, University of San Francisco
- DNP, , University of San Francisco
- MSN, Nurse-Midwifery, Emory University
- FNP Certificate, Georgia Southern...
- Clinical care in mental health
- Transgender care
- Women's health
Ms. Ambrose has been working in the Health Care Industry for over 40 years. She began her career in Nursing at San Francisco General Hospital working in the Trauma ICU. Ms. Ambrose worked for Kaiser Permanente in Northern California and Portland Oregon where she had the privilege of assisting with the opening of 3 Kaiser Acute Care Facilities while in the role of Administrative and Nursing Operations Director. She served as VP and Chief Nursing Officer/COO for Dignity Health and CommonSpirit...
- University of St. Augustine, DNP, 2021
- Golden Gate University, MBA, 1992
- University of San Francisco, BSN, 1980
- Nurse leader mentoring
- Health care staffing models
Dr. Beamish was born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area, played basketball in high school, and went on to earn a basketball scholarship to play basketball in college. After college, Dr. Beamish worked in high tech, but like many during the dot-com bust, returned to college a second time to pursue a career in nursing.
Dr. Beamish worked as a research associate and department secretary before later earning a masters in nursing at USF in the ME-MSN program. While working as a nurse in a...
- University of San Francisco, DNP Family Nurse Practitioner, 2020
- University of San Francisco, MSN Clinical Nurse Leader, 2017
- Colorado Technical University, BS Business Administration, 2015
- Board Certified in Advanced Diabetes Management
- Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
Dr. Lake has 10 years of experience in clinical practice. She holds a Bachelor of Science Degree with a Minor in Biology from Gettysburg College, a Master's of Science in Nursing, Family Nurse Practitioner Specialty, and Diabetes Care Concentration from Yale School of Nursing, and Doctor of Nursing Practice, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Specialty, and Master's of Public Health from the University of San Francisco. She is board certified as a Family Nurse Practitioner through the...
- USF, DNP in PMHNP, MPH, 2021
- Yale, MSN in FNP, 2013
- Gettysburg College, BS in Health Science/Biology, 2009
Professor Mallory Manuel, MSN, RN, CEN, teaches in the Master's Entry - Master of Science in Nursing program and currently maintains her nursing skills at the bedside working in an emergency department here in San Francisco. She primarily teaches in the first semester of the program, leading the Fundamentals clinical and lab experiences.
Professor Manuel brings vast experience from emergency departments across the country, including trauma centers of all levels, STEMI receiving centers...
- UT Arlington, Master of Science in Nursing- Nursing Education, 2020
- University of Alabama Birmingham, Bachelor of Science in Nursing with a minor in Health Education, 2014
- Emergency Nursing
- Nursing Education
- Acute Care Nursing
- Adult Health Nursing
Krystie Matthews has almost a decade of experience in various settings as a licensed nurse, director of nursing, and educator. Dr. Matthews is a clinical nurse leader (CNL) at the VA currently, performs community visits for people healing at home, and is an adjunct professor at the University of San Francisco in the SONHP. Her area of interests are toxic workplace mitigation in nursing and empowering various nursing settings to improve workplace culture by utilizing a nursing incivility scale...
- University of San Francisco, DNP in Population Health Leadership, 2021
- University of San Francisco, MSN in Clinical Nurse Leadership, 2019
- Unitek College, ADN in Registered Nurse, 2017
- Healthcare policy
Professor Patterson has 45 years of nursing experience, including in multiple leadership roles in outpatient and inpatient settings, and notably served as president of the American Association for Men in Nursing from 2014-2016. He received a nursing diploma from St. Luke’s Hospital School of Nursing in San Francisco, a BSN from CSU Dominguez Hill, an MSN from San Francisco State University, and a doctorate of nursing practice (DNP) from the University of San Francisco. He has a passion for local...
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP), University of San Francisco
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN), San Francisco State University
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN), California State University ...
- Clinical leadership
Diane Santiago is a Bay Area native but lived in Houston, Texas for seven years. There she worked at a busy 700 bed hospital and got her masters degree. She has over eight years of ICU nurse experience and is currently an ICU supervisor. She’s excited to teach and help you build your nursing career. She is passionate about building professional growth and is inspired by the opportunity for lifelong learning in nursing.
In her free time she enjoys getting nursing certifications, going back to...
- University of Texas, Arlington, MSN Education 2020
- Chamberlain College of Nursing, BSN 2013
- CSU Chico, BA Psychology 2010
- Critical Care
- Nursing Leadership and Administration
Professor Schacke has been working as a registered nurse under the women's and children's umbrella throughout her career. She is passionate about the field of pediatrics and maternal-child nursing. Additionally, she has spent a substantial amount of time in clinical research.
- Grand Canyon University, PhD in psychology, 2020
- Grand Canyon University, MSN in nursing education, 2014
- The University of Phoenix, BSN, 2012
- Reading Area Community College, ADN, 2004
Jeremy Yves Vergara has 23 years of nursing experience in adult critical care, pediatric and adult neurology, peri-operative practice, and hospital and ambulatory leadership. Jeremy is a doctoral prepared nurse with specialization in healthcare systems leadership. He is fueled by a vision to improve clinical practice and processes and accomplished in determining the most optimal operational practices — achieving objectives to improve organizational and patient outcomes through structural...
- University of San Francisco, Doctor of Nursing Practice, 2016
- University of San Francisco, Master of Science in Nursing, 2014
- Xavier University - Ateneo de Cagayan, Bachelor of Science in Nursing...
- Healthcare Leadership
- Project Management
- Ambulatory Leadership Practice
- Ambulatory Neurology
- Finance Management
Dr. Robin Buccheri is a Professor Emerita and Adjunct Professor at the University of San Francisco (USF) in San Francisco. In 2010, she was admitted as a fellow to the American Academy of Nursing. Dr. Buccheri has published over twenty-five articles in scholarly journals and is on the Editorial Board for Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services. She has received the School of Nursing & Health Professions Teaching Award, the University of San Francisco Research Award, and twice...
- PhD, University of California, San Francisco
- MHNP, California State University, Long Beach
- MSN, California State University, Long Beach
- ADN, El Camino College
- BSN, California State University...