Master's Entry, ME-MSN
The University of San Francisco offers a Master's Entry - Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) program for individuals who hold a bachelor's degree in a field outside of nursing.
The Master's Entry MSN option prepares students for licensure as RNs while integrating graduate-level curriculum that prepares them for nurse-leader positions. Students complete 68 credits over the course of two (2) years of full-time continuous study at USF’s Main campus in San Francisco or in Orange County, with classroom instruction three (3) days weekly and clinical practice two (2) days weekly.
The USF Advantage
The Master’s Entry Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) program is designed for students who hold a bachelor’s degree in areas of study outside of nursing and are seeking a new career as a registered nurse (RN).
A USF MSN-prepared nurse is equipped to:
- Improve patient care and safety, clinical outcomes, and unit efficiency.
- Reduce cost and improve standards of care with the use of evidence-based
- Advocate and enhance promotion for patients, communities, and health
- Design, coordinate, and evaluate care for a diverse population of patients, families, and communities
- Provide services at the point of care to individuals across the lifespan with particular emphasis on health promotion and risk reduction
- Synthesize data, information, and knowledge to evaluate and achieve optimal outcomes
- Ensure inclusive care planning for patients and families
- Full-time, two year program
- Classes are offered spring, summer, and fall semesters
- 68 units
- National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX) taken during fifth semester
- Complete more than 1,000 clinical and internship hours in hospitals and other health care settings
Sample Clinical Sites
- Kaiser Permanente
- Laguna Honda Hospital
- Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital
- Oakland Children’s Hospital
- California Pacific Medical Center
- St. Joseph’s Hospital
- La Clínica de la Raza
The Master's Entry MSN program accepts applications for spring and summer admission at our San Francisco location, and Spring and Fall at our Orange county location. Please apply by the following deadlines for Spring, Summer, or Fall admission at our San Francisco or Orange County campus locations. You must complete all required nursing courses at the campus to which you apply.
- Spring – September 1
- Summer – January 15
- Spring – September 15
- Fall – April 15
Please note, applications are due on the date of the deadline at 11:59 PM PST. The application system is set to Eastern Standard Time, therefore, your application will be considered on-time if submitted by 2:59 AM EST or 11:59 PM PST
The baccalaureate degree program in nursing, the master's degree program in nursing, and the Doctor of Nursing Practice program at the University of San Francisco School of Nursing and Health Professions are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
It is also approved by the California State Board of Registered Nursing. Students who graduate from the program are also eligible to receive the California Public Health Nursing Certificate.