Xornam Apedoe is an associate professor in the Department of Learning and Instruction at the University of San Francisco. Her research has generally been focused on new areas of STEM learning (e.g., how to integrate engineering into science classrooms) and strategies for addressing the inequities of who participates in STEM+C (computer science) learning environments (e.g., the use of real-world design problems that both deepen science and are compelling topics to diverse students). She has a PhD in Instructional Technology from the University of Georgia, and was awarded the Director’s Post Doctoral Research Fellowship at the Learning Research & Development Center at the University of Pittsburgh.
- Program Coordinator, Educational Technology MA
- University of Georgia, Ph.D. in Instructional Technology, 2005
- University of Alberta, BSc. (Honors) in Psychology, 2001
- Associate Professor & Medical Education Specialist for Curriculum Development, Dean of Basic Sciences Office, St. George’s University
- Associate Professor, Education Department, American University of Antigua
- Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Learning Research & Development Center, University of Pittsburgh
- Broadening participation in STEM+C
- STEM reasoning and learning (with an emphasis on design-based science and inquiry-based science)
- STEM+C identity
- Technology enhanced learning environments
- Conceptions of teaching & learning
- Selected Publications
Apedoe, X., Ellefson, M.E., & Schunn, C.D. (forthcoming). Design-based Concept Learning in Chemistry: The Heating/Cooling Unit. In I. Henze-Rietveld & M.J. de Vries (Eds.), Design-based concept learning in science and technology education. Sense/Brill Publishing.
Cox, C., Apedoe, X., Silk, E. & Schunn, C.D. (2017). Analyzing materials in order to find design opportunities for the classroom. In S. Goldman & Z. Kabayadondo (Eds.), Taking Design Thinking to School: How the Technology of Design Can Transform Teachers, Learners and Classrooms (p. 204-220). Routledge: New York.
Apedoe, X., & Schunn, C.D. (2013). Strategies for success: Uncovering what makes students successful in design and learning. Instructional Science, 41 (4), 773-791.
Apedoe, X., Reynolds, B., Ellefson, M., & Schunn, C. D. (2008). Bringing engineering design to high school science classrooms: The Heating/Cooling unit. Journal of Science Education and Technology, 17, (5), 454-465.
Apedoe, X. (2008). Engaging students in inquiry: Tales from an undergraduate geology laboratory-based course. Science Education, 92 (4), 631-663.