- Education and Development in the Global South
- Peace and Human Rights Education
- Education for Immigrant and Refugee Youth
- Education & International Development; International & Comparative Education
- Human Rights Education
- Peace Education
- Educational Innovation in the Global South
- Gender and Schooling
- Global Education
- Immigrants and Refugees
- EdD, International Educational Development, Teachers College, Columbia University
- MA, Latin American Studies, Stanford University
- BA, Sociology, Stanford University
- Bajaj, Monisha. (Ed.). (2017). Human rights education: Theory, research & praxis. Philadelphia:
- University of Pennsylvania Press.
- Bajaj, Monisha. (2016). Peace Education: International Perspectives. New York & London:
- Bajaj, Monisha. (2016). Righting Wrongs: A Handbook of Child Rights for Teachers. Chennai:
- Tulika Press.
- Bajaj, M. (2011). Schooling for Social Change: The Rise and Impact of Human Rights Education
- in India. New York & London: Continuum. (Winner of the 2012 Jackie Kirk Outstanding Book
- Prize of the Comparative & International Education Society)
- Bajaj, M. (Ed.) (2008). The Encyclopedia of Peace Education. North Carolina: Information Age
- Bajaj, M. (2003). Guía de Educación en Derechos Humanos. Santo Domingo: UNESCO.
Selected Articles & Chapters
- Bajaj, M. & Suresh, S. (2018). The "warm embrace" of a newcomer school for immigrant & refugee youth. Theory into Practice, 57(2), 91-98.
- Bajaj, M., Argenal, A. & Canlas, M. (2017). Socio-politically relevant pedagogy for immigrant and refugee youth. Equity & Excellence in Education 50(3), 258-274.
- Bajaj, M. & Bartlett, L. (2017). Critical transnational curriculum for immigrant and refugee youth. Curriculum Inquiry, 47.
- Bajaj, M., Argenal, A. & Canlas, M. (2017). Between rights and realities: Human rights education for immigrant and refugee youth in an urban public high school. Anthropology and Education Quarterly, 48(2), 124-140.
- Bajaj, M., Ghaffar-Kucher, A., & Desai, K. (2016). Brown bodies and xenophobic bullying in U.S. schools: Critical analysis and strategies for action . Harvard Educational Review, 86 (4), 481-505.
- Vega-Chaparro, L. & Bajaj, M. (2016). The right to education in protracted conflict: Teachers’ experiences in non-formal education in Colombia. Globalisation, Societies and Education , 14 (3), 358-373.
- Canlas, M., Argenal, A. & Bajaj, M. (2015). Teaching human rights from below: Towards solidarity, resistance and social justice. Radical Teacher, 103 , 38-46.
- Bajaj, M. (2015). Human rights education: Imaginative possibilities for creating change. Teachers College Record , 117 (10), 1-9.
- Hantzopoulos, M., Zakharia, Z., Shirazi, R., Bajaj, M. & Ghaffar-Kucher, A. (2015). New curricular approaches to teaching about the Middle East and North Africa. Social Studies Research and Practice, 10 (1), 84-93.
- Bajaj, M. (2015). ‘Pedagogies of resistance’ and critical peace education praxis. Journal of Peace Education, 12 (2), 154-166.
- Bajaj, M. (2014). The productive plasticity of rights: Globalization, education and human rights. In N. Stromquist & K. Monkman (Eds.), Globalization and education: Integration and contestation across cultures (2nd ed.) (pp. 51-66). Lanham, D: Rowman and Littlefield.
- Bajaj, M. (2012). Human rights education in small schools in India. Peace Review, 24 (1), 6-13.
- Bajaj, M. (2012). From ‘time pass’ to transformative force: School-based human rights education in Tamil Nadu, India. International Journal of Educational Development, 32 (1), 72-80.
- Bajaj, M. & Pathmarajah, M. (2011). En‘gender’ing Agency: The differentiated impact of educational initiatives in Zambia and India. Feminist Formations, 23 (3), 48-67.
- Iyengar, R. & Bajaj, M. (2011). After the smoke clears: Examining curricular approaches to environmental education in Bhopal, India. Comparative Education Review, 55( 3), 424-456.
- Bajaj, M. & Brantmeier, E. (Special issue guest editors). (2011). The politics, possibilities and praxis of a critical peace education. Journal of Peace Education, 8 (3), 221-224.
- Bajaj, M. (2011). Human rights education: Ideology, location, and approaches. Human Rights Quarterly, 33, 481-508.
- Bajaj, M. (2011). Teaching to transform, transforming to teach: Exploring the role of teachers in human rights education in India. Educational Research, 53 (2), 207.
- Bajaj, M. (2010). Inter-generational perspectives on education and employment in the Zambian Copperbelt. Comparative Education Review, 54 (2), 175-197.
- Bajaj, M. (2010). Conjectures on peace education and Gandhian studies: Method, institutional development, and globalization. Journal of Peace Education, 7 (1), 47-62.
- Bajaj, M. (2009). Why context matters: The material conditions of caring in Zambia. International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education, 22 (4), 379–398.
- Bajaj, M. (2009). ‘I have big things planned for my future’: The limits and possibilities of transformative agency in Zambian schools. Compare, 39 (4), 551-568.
- Bajaj, M. (2009). Undoing gender?: A case study of school policy and practice in Zambia. International Review of Education, 55 (5), 483-502.
- Bajaj, M. & Chiu, B. (2009). Education for sustainable development as peace education. Peace & Change, 34 (4), 441-455.
- Bajaj, M. (2009). Sugar daddies and the danger of sugar: Cross-generational relationships, HIV/AIDS and secondary schooling in Zambia. In A. Wiseman & D. Baker (Eds.), Gender, equality and education from international and comparative perspectives (pp. 123-143). Oxford: Elsevier Science Ltd.
- Bajaj, M. (2008). Schooling in the shadow of death: Youth agency and HIV/AIDS in Zambia. Journal of Asian and African Studies, 43 (3), 307-329.
- Bajaj, M. (2004). Human rights education and student self-conception in the Dominican Republic. Journal of Peace Education, 1 (1), 21-36.
- Blog Posts for the Teaching Tolerance Website of the Southern Poverty Law Center
- Blog Posts for the Global Partnership for Education, housed at the World Bank, Washington, D.C.
Online Curricular Resources