Marissa Floro, PhD (she/her) is an adjunct faculty member in the counseling psychology department. Dr. Floro attempts to connect her research in intersections of identities, her clinical work primarily serving QTBIPoC, and her teaching under the ultimate goal of dismantling systems of oppression for the liberation of all.
- AAPA LGBTQ Division Co-Chair 2023-2026
- AAPA Association Leadership Fellows Program 2020-2022
- APA Society of Counseling Psychology (Division 17) Early Career Psychologist Committee 2020-2023
- Loyola University, PhD in Counseling Psychology, 2013
- Boston College, MA in Counseling Psychology, 2011
- UC Santa Barbara, BA in Classics, Renaissance Studies, Applied Psychology, 2007
- Course Instructor, Department of Psychiatry, Stanford University
- Course Instructor in Wellness Education & LifeWorks, Stanford University
- Adjunct Professor in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, North Park University
Awards & Distinctions
- 2020-2021 Stanford Psychiatry YogaX Teacher Training Scholarship awardee
- 2020 APA Division 17’s Supervision & Training Section Award for Outstanding Counseling Supervisor
- Floro, M., Wong, S., Wang, J., Estrellado, J. & Rider, N. (in progress). LGBTQ+ Asian Sexualities. In Estrellado, J., Felipe, L., Breen, A. & Rider, N. (Ed.) Queer Asian Americans: A practitioner’s guide for working with LGBTQ+ Asian American communities.
- Floro, M., Nakamura, N. & Kumar, S. (in progress). Asian American LGBTQ+ Immigrants. In Estrellado, J., Felipe, L., Breen, A. & Rider, N. (Ed.) Queer Asian Americans: A practitioner’s guide for working with LGBTQ+ Asian American communities.
- Floro, M. & Wong, S. (in process). Queer Communities. In Wilson, H & Khan, C. (Ed.) Facing Campus Sexual Assault and Relationship Violence with Courage: A Guide to Prevention, Healing, and Recovery.
- Rivera, A. M. & Floro, M. (2020). Sexual Stereotypes. In Armstrong, H. (Ed.) Encyclopedia of Sex and Sexuality: Understanding Biology, Psychology, and Culture. Santa Barbara, California: ABC-CLIO.