- Urban Education; educational experiences of Latino students; immigration and education; bilingual education; unequal opportunity and access within US public schools; community organizing for school change; school and community partnerships
- equity-minded school reform; cultural citizenship; race and identity; social and cultural theory; qualitative approaches to research (participatory action research, critical ethnography).
- PhD, Education, Social and Cultural Studies, University of California, Berkeley
- Fuentes, E. (2013) Political Mothering: Latina and African American Mothers in the Struggle for Educational Justice. Anthropology and Education Quarterly, 44(3).
- Fuentes, E. (2012) Critical Race Praxis and Grassroots Community Organizing for School Change. Urban Review, 44(5).
- Noguera, P., Fuentes, E., Sanchez, P. & Darder, A. (2012). Liberating Ourselves: Agency, Resistance and Possibilities for Change among Latino/a Students, Educators and Parents. Journal of the Association of Mexican American Educators, 6(1).
- Fuentes, E & Koirala-Azad, S. (eds.) (2012). Introduction: Human Rights Education Praxis, 24(1).
- Fuentes, E, Koirala-Azad, S. & Katz, S. (2012). Graduate Studies in Human Rights Education: Extending the Social Justice Discourse in Higher Education, 24(1).
- Fuentes, E. (2011) Practicing Citizenship: Latino Parents Broadening Notions of Citizenship Through Participatory Research Journal of Latino Studies, 9(4).
- Koirala-Azad, S and Fuentes, E. (Eds). (2009/2010) Introduction: Activist scholarship—Possibilities and constraints of Participatory Action Research. Social Justice Journal, 36(4).
- Fuentes, E. (2009/2010) Learning Power and Building Community: Parent-Initiated Participatory Action Research as a Tool for Organizing Community In Koirala-Azad, S. & Fuentes, E. (Eds.)
- Activist scholarship: Possibilities and constraints of Participatory Action Research. Social Justice Journal, 36(4).
- Katz, S., Arriaza, G., & Fuentes, E. (Eds.) (2005). Waging War over Public Education and Youth Services: Challenging Corporate Control of Our Schools and Communities. Social Justice Journal, 32(3).
- Routé-Chatmon, L., Scott-George, K., Okahara, A., Fuentes, E., Yonemura Wing, J., & Noguera, P., (2006) Creating Demand for Equity: Three Theories for Transforming the Role of Parents in Schools In Voices of Urban Education, No. 13.
- Fuentes, E. (2011) VOCES Latinas: Re-imagining Latino Parent Involvement In Divisadero: Latin@s in Education.
Invited Book Chapters
- Fuentes, E. (2014) Practicing Citizenship: Latino Parents Broadening Notions of Citizenship Through Participatory Research In Darder, A. & R.D. Torres (eds.) Latinos And Education: A Critical Reader (second edition). New York: Routledge.
- Fuentes, E. & Liou, D. (2006). Language, Culture, and Access. In Noguera, P. & Yonemura-Wing, J. (Eds.) Unfinished Business: One School’s Effort to Close the Racial Achievement Gap. San Francisco: Josey-Bass.
- Scott-George, K., Route-Chatmon, L., Okahara, A., & Fuentes, E.. (2006). Creating Demand for Equity: Transforming the Role of Parents in Schools. In Noguera J. & Yonemura-Wing, J. (Eds.) Unfinished Business: One School’s Effort to Close the Racial Achievement Gap. San Francisco.