- Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, Public Health 1990 School of Public Health Oc/Env Health
- Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, Public Health 1982 School of Hygiene and Public Health
- University of Baltimore, MD, Political Science 1980
- Pilgrim State Hosp School of Nursing, Nursing 1975
BOOKS AND BOOK CHAPTERS
- Sattler, B. (2013). Environmental Health Chapter. In AAOHN edited edition: Core Curriculum for Occupational and Environmental Health Nursing. (3rd ed.)
- Sattler, B. (2011, April). The greening of a major medical center. American Journal of Nursing, 111(4):60-2. DOI:10.1097/01.NAJ.0000396559.09620.94
PEER REVIEWED JOURNALS
- Ortner, P. and Sattler, B. (2013, February). Drugs in the environment: Nurses’ roles and responsibilities. American Nurse Today, 8(2).
- Sattler B, Randall KS, and Choiniere D. (2011). Reducing Hazardous Chemical Exposures in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit: A new role for nurses. Critical Care Nursing Quarterly Journal, 1, 102–112
- Sattler B. (2011, April). Greening of a Major Medical Center. AJN, American Journal of Nursing, 111(4), 60-62.
- Choi M, Curriero FC, Johantgen M, Mills ME, Sattler B, and Lipscomb J. (2011, June). Association between ozone and emergency department visits: an ecological study. Int J Environmental Health Res, 21(3), 201-21.
- Sattler, B. (2011). Chemical Trespass. The Maryland Nurse, April/May Issue.
- National webinar on chemical exposures in health care for the Alliance of Nurses for Healthy Environments (2013).
- Created www.enviRN.org, a new one-stop-shop for nurses who are interested in environmental health. This website that was launched Feb 2011 and incorporates a unique blend of social networking, educational platform, and content management into a single entry website. It now includes an on-line virtual textbook for nursing faculty to teach environmental health.
- National Webinar on Toxicology for Nurses for the Alliance of Nurses for Healthy Environment (2012).
- National webinar series on chemical policies – archived on www.enviRN.org (2011).
- Sattler, B., A healthy environment means healthy people: Reducing environmental threats in our everyday lives, Proceedings: Medicine and the Planet: The Coming of Age in Ecological Medicine, March 26-29, 2003, Seattle, WA.
- Sattler, B., White Paper: Environmental Health Education and Nursing, Part of the Nursing Environmental Roundtable (August 26-27, 2002) Report, co-sponsored by the National Institute of Nursing Research, the National Institute of Environmental Health Science and the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry.
ABSTRACTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Workshop, Greening Health Care, Palm Drive Hospital, Sebastopol, CA, January 8, 2011.
- Workshop, Integrating Environmental Health into Nursing Practice, San Jose State University of School of Nursing, San Jose, Ca, January 11, 2011.
- Plenary, Environmental Health: Fertile Ground for Nursing Research, Midwest Nursing Research Society, Columbus, OH, March 25, 2011.
- Invited Talk, Occupational and Environmental Exposures in the Health Care Setting, National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health, Pittsburgh, PA, March 28, 2011.
- Keynote, Environmental Health: Public Health Nurses’ Expanding Domain, Ohio Public Health Association, Cleveland, OH, April 27, 2011.
- Plenary, Carcinogens Cause Cancer and Other Important Environmental Health Facts, Oncology Nursing Society, Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, April 28, 2011.
- Plenary, Nursing and the Environment, Association of State and Territorial Directors of Nursing, Columbus, OH, May 3, 2011.
- Invited Talk, Making a Difference in Health Outcomes, US Public Health Service Celebrating Nurses Conference, Bethesda, MD May 6, 2011.
- Invited Talk, Environmental Health and Occupational Health Nursing, Mid Atlantic Regional Meeting, Gaithersburg, MD, May 21, 2011.
- Awards & Distinctions
1975 – Merit Award, Pilgrim Psychiatric Center School of Nursing--Community Service
1981 – Mayor's Award for Merit at the University of Baltimore
1981 – Governor's Award for Achievement at the University of Baltimore
1988 – National Safety Council Scholarship Award for activities and achievement in occupational safety and health
1997 – Ruth B. Freeman Award of the Maryland Public Health Association
2001 – Certificate of Recognition by the EPA from IAQ/Tools for Schools Program
2003 – Induction as a Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing
2003 – Recognition Award from Environmental Section of the American Public Health Association
2003 – Maryland Nurses Association Outstanding Leadership Award
2004 – Inducted into the Delta Omega Honorary Public Health Society, Alpha Chapter (Johns Hopkins SPH)
2008 – Charlotte Brody Award for lifetime contribution to environmental health and nursing
2008 –National Champions for Change Award - Programmatic Award for MD H2E Project
- Managed a national Mini-Grant Program for nurses
- Green Bag Lunch Series at the SON – green cleaners, personal care products, sustainable foods, etc.
- Organizer, Wingspread Conference on Environmental Health and Nursing, supported by grants and the Johnson Family Foundation, Racine, WI, June 25 – 28, 2009
- Director, Maryland Hospitals for Healthy Environments
- Co-created a CE program on the PACE – EH program (Protocols for Assessing Excellence – Environmental Health) with the National Association of City and County Health Officials (2006)
- NIEHS Center Grant Review
- NIOSH ERC Grant Review
Public Service with Government Agencies
- Baltimore City Health Dept, Healthy Homes Division, Community Advisory Board
- Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, Environmental Health Tracking Advisory Board
- US EPA, Child Health Protection Advisory Board
- US EPA, Perinatal Partnership
- Maryland Dept of the Environment, Healthy Hospital Audits
- Governors’ Environmental Justice Commission (Maryland)