Teaching Areas of Expertise
Community Health and Mental Health Nursing, Family Health-Maternity in Junior and Senior level (Nursing 352, Nursing 451; and Nursing 481), and the Masters Program in Teaching, Learning, and Program Planning (Nursing 609), Instructional Systems Design (Nursing 604), and Clinical in Health Promotion and the Childbearing Family (Nursing 611). Participant in health prevention and promotion programs with individuals, families, and health care providers with the focus on case management, immunization programs for mobile home parks, health screenings with children, families, and aging-in-place adults, and health education programs regarding access to health care/resources, wellness, sleep, depression, and chronic diseases.
Research Areas of Interest
Involved in ongoing research projects in the community with individuals and families across the life span. In 2006-2007 involved in a post-doctoral study entitled: Medicare D Prescription Coverage for Older Adults: Implications for Partnerships. Community involvement in "Ask a Nurse" program for older adults living in independently in residential living and senior centers in Santa Clara County. Ongoing presentations and research on caregivers with a research project entitled: Elder Caregivers: Stresses, Social Support, and Health Care Needs. Past research and publications include: "Prevention Assessment for High Risk Elders" Teaching on a Mother-Baby Unit: Parents' Ratings of its Value" and "On-line Critical Thinking: A Case Study Analysis". Author of a chapter in Conversations in E-Learning (Chapter on Critical Thinking) which was selected an AJN Book of the Year in the category of Nursing Education and Continuing Education. Author on a chapter for a study guide for Nursing Research: Methods Critical Appraisal and Utilization on: "Sampling" and application with examples of evidence based nursing practice.
Senior Care Commissioner for the County of Santa Clara (2002-2005; 2005-2008); Vice Chair of the Senior Care Commission (2004-2005); Member of the Institutional Care and Community Care Committee (2002-2006); Member of the Legislative Committee (2005-2008). Member of the Educational Committee of the Bay Area Lupus Foundation; Member of the Administrative Council for RotoCare Free Clinic and El Camino Hospital (2006-2009); Educator and Advisor for CODA Alliance preparing classes regarding End of Life Issues and Advanced Directives; Board Member of Sigma Theta Tau International as the Regional 1 Chair; Membership Involvement (2001-2007); By-Laws Task Force; Reviewer for Clinical Abstracts on Evidence-Based Practice for Biennium Presentations (2004-2005), Reviewer for International Awards-Chapter Newsletter (2005); Member or the Beta Gamma Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau (Membership Involvement) and Alpha Gamma Chapter (Board of Directors); and involved with the Protocol Committee for Sigma Theta Tau International Conventions; Member and active in Social Justice Committee at Holy Spirit Church and the Bellarmine Mothers AMEN Club.
- Member of the Faculty Development Committee
- Member of the University Core Area Committee: Fine and Performing Arts, Health Promotion and Services Advisory Committee
- USF Interdisciplinary Committee on Aging
- Faculty Representative for the Board of Trustees Academic Affairs, and participant in Western Conversations at Seattle University (1996) and Regis University (2004)
- BSN, University of San Francisco
- Teaching Effectiveness for the School of Nursing (2003-2004)
- Mentor Epitome Award for the USF Beta Gamma Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau (2004)
- Art of Nursing Award from USF's Beta Gamma Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau for the Advancement of the Profession of Nursing
- Conducted a projected at the Legion of Honor with senior nursing students on the uses of art and paintings in the nursing curriculum-Community and Mental Health Nursing
- Contributed to both the first and second editions of the book entitled: HeArt of Nursing (photographs and poetry)