Associate Professor; Health Professions Department Chair
Marie-Claude Couture has more than fifteen years of experience leading public health studies in local and international settings, including Haiti, Cambodia, Ghana, Thailand, and the Ivory Coast. She built a solid academic background in epidemiology and public health with research interests in substance use, infectious diseases, gender-based violence, sexual and reproductive health, and social determinants of health in diverse, underserved and marginilized populations. Marie-Claude has been principal investigator, co-investigator, and collaborator on several research projects with multidisciplinary teams from academia, government, and the community. She is an author of more than thirty-three peer-reviewed articles and has had presentations at different national and international scientific meetings.
- Data analysis
- Quantitative research methods
- Survey design
- Substance use
- Infectious disease transmission
- Violence and victimization
- Social determinants of health
- Digital health
- Chair, Health Professions Department, SONHP
- Chair, Digital Teaching and Learning Committee, SONHP
- Member, Public Health Working Group, USF Public Health Advisory Committee
- Member, Join University Curriculum Committee
- Chair, Program Admission Committee, Master of Public Health
- Université de Montréal, Montreal, Canada, PhD in Public Health, epidemiology
- McGill University, Montreal, Canada, MSc, Masters in Biochemistry, molecular biology
- Université Laval Quebec, Canada, BSc, Bachelor in Microbiology
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of California San Francisco, Institute for Global Health Sciences
- Epidemiology and Microbiology Consultant, Centre de Coopération International en Santé et Développement, Quebec, Canada
Awards & Distinctions
- Young Investigator Travel Award, International Conference on Global Health, 2013
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), 2009
- Doctoral Fellowship, Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), 2006
- Couture MC, L’Engle K, Swathi PA*, Regan A. COVID-19 vaccine coverage among college students following vaccine mandates. (Accepted at Journal of American College Health)
- Couture MC, Kang JE*, Hemenway D, Grinshteyn E. Associations between having been threatened or injured with a weapon and substance use and mental health among high school students in the United States. (2021) Int J Inj Contr Saf Promot. Dec 19:1-10. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34923925.
- Evans JL, Couture MC, Carrico AW, Stein ES, Sokunny M, Maly P, Len A, Ngak S, Sophal C, Neak Y, Maher L, Page K. (2021) Joint effects of alcohol and stimulant use disorders on sexually transmitted infection in a prospective study of Cambodian female women entertainment and sex workers. Int J HIV/AIDS. 956462420964647. Epub ahead of print.
- Couture MC, Garcia D, Whaley R*, Grinshteyn E. Effect of fear of victimization on hazardous alcohol drinking, tobacco, and marijuana use among university students: A tale of two sexes. (2020) Addict Behav. 2020;106:106355.
- Couture MC, Evans JL, Sokunny M, Maly P, Len A, Song N, Sophal C, Neak Y, Stein ES, Carrico AW, Maher L, Page K. Syndemic psychosocial health conditions associated with recent client-perpetrated violence against female entertainment and sex workers in Cambodia. (2020) Arch Sex Behav. 2020;10.1007/s10508-020-01705-y.
* Student co-author