Dr. Couture has more than fifteen years of experience leading public health studies in local and international settings, including Haiti, Cambodia, Ghana, Thailand, and the Ivory Coast. She built a solid academic background in epidemiology and public health with research interests in substance use, infectious diseases, gender-based violence, sexual and reproductive health, and social determinants of health in diverse, vulnerable populations. Dr. Couture has been principal investigator, co-investigator, and collaborator on several research projects with multidisciplinary teams from academia, government, and the community. She is an author of more than twenty-eight peer-reviewed articles and has had presentations at different national and international scientific meetings.
- Vice-Chair, Health Professions Department, SONHP
- Chair, Digital Teaching and Learning Committee, SONHP
- Member, Public Health Working Group, USF Public Health Advisory Committee
- Member, Join University Curriculum Committee
- Chair, Program Admission Committee, Master of Public Health
- Université de Montréal, Montreal, Canada, PhD in Public Health, epidemiology,
- McGill University, Montreal, Canada, MSc, Masters in Biochemistry, molecular biology
- Université Laval Quebec, Canada, BSc, Bachelor in Microbiology
- Postdoctoral Fellow in Epidemiology, University of California San Francisco
- Epidemiology and Microbiology Consultant, Centre de Coopération International en Santé et Développement, Quebec, Canada
- Data analysis
- Quantitative research methods
- Survey design
- Substance use
- Infectious disease transmission
- Sexual health
- Global health
- Social determinants of health
- Selected Publications
Hahn JA, Murnane PM, Vittinghoff E, Muyindike WR, Emenyonu NI, Fatch R, Chamie G, Haberer JE, Francis JM, Kapiga S, Jacobson K, Myers B, Couture MC, DiClemente RJ, Brown JL, So-Armah K, Sulkowski M, Marcus GM, Woolf-King S, Cook RL, Richards VL, Molina P, Ferguson T, Welsh D, Piano MR, Phillips SA, Stewart S, Afshar M, Page K, McGinnis K, Fiellin DA, Justice AC, Bryant K, Saitz R. (2021) Factors associated with phosphatidylethanol (PEth) sensitivity for detecting unhealthy alcohol use: An individual patient data meta-analysis. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. Apr 10.
Evans JL, Couture MC, Carrico AW, Stein ES, Sokunny M, Maly P, Len A, Ngak S, Sophal C, Neak Y, Maher L, Page K. (2020) Joint effects of alcohol and stimulant use disorders on sexually transmitted infection in a prospective study of Cambodian female women entertainment and sex workers. Int J HIV/AIDS. 956462420964647. doi: 10.1177/0956462420964647. Epub ahead of print.
Couture MC, Garcia D, Whaley R*, Grinshteyn E. Effect of fear of victimization on hazardous alcohol drinking, tobacco, and marijuana use among university students: A tale of two sexes. (2020) Addict Behav. 2020;106:106355.
Couture MC, Evans JL, Sokunny M, Maly P, Len A, Song N, Sophal C, Neak Y, Stein ES, Carrico AW, Maher L, Page K. Syndemic psychosocial health conditions associated with recent client-perpetrated violence against female entertainment and sex workers in Cambodia. (2020) Arch Sex Behav. 2020;10.1007/s10508-020-01705-y.
Couture MC, Page K, Sansothy S, Stein ES, Vun MC, JA Hahn. High prevalence of unhealthy alcohol use and comparison of self-reported alcohol consumption to phosphatidylethanol among women engaged in sex work and their male clients in Cambodia. (2016) Drug and Alcohol Dependence; 165: 29-37.
- Awards & Distinctions
Young Investigator Travel Award, International Conference on Global Health, 2013
Postdoctoral Fellowship, Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), 2009
Doctoral Fellowship, Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), 2006