Dr. Nosek's education includes an ADN/RN from Cabrillo Community College; BA from CSUMB; MPH in Maternal/Child and International Health from UC Berkeley; MS and Certified Nurse Midwife from UCSF; and Ph.D. in Nursing from UCSF. She worked as a registered nurse in labor and delivery for 17 years and started teaching at USF in 2007. Since starting at USF, she has taught in multiple programs including the BSN, DNP, MSN, and MPH. As a tenured, Associate Professor, she currently teaches in the MSN and MPH programs focusing on the maternity and health promotion core course for MSN and social & behavioral health course, maternal child health elective, and capstone/fieldwork supervision for the MPH program. Previously she has taught Epidemiology, Cultural & Linguistic Preparation for Healthcare, Nursing Research, Intro to Public Health, and immersion courses to Colombia and Cuba.
Her research involves both quantitative and qualitative methodologies spanning broadly but carries a thread of focus on marginalized persons, or with the aim of enhancing moral, ethical, and empathic qualities of nursing and MPH students learning to care for complex patients or challenging populations. Currently, she is interested in community-based research working in partnership with NGOs. Her latest paper under review explores the experiences of children of incarcerated parents. For her current project, she's conducting interviews with veterans who have participated in a mindfulness program to cope with post-traumatic stress.
- Maternal, Child and Women's Health
- Public Health, Global Health
- PhD, Nursing, University of California, San Francisco
- MS, Certified Nurse Midwife & Women's Health Nurse Practitioner, University of California, San Francisco
- MPH, Specialty Area of Maternal/Child Health, Minor in International Health, University of California, Berkeley
- BA, Integrated Studies, International Health, California State University, Monterey Bay
- ASN, Registered Nurse, Cabrillo College
Original Articles in Refereed Journals
- Nosek, M. (2015). A cross sectional exploration of emotional intelligence in US baccalaureate nursing students. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, 5(11), 29-41. doi:10.5430/jnep.v5n11p29
- Nosek, M., Marlow, E., Young, E., & Lee, Y. (2014). Transformative wonder: An ex-con talking about Heidegger to a class of graduate students. Academic Quarter, 9(12), 348-362.
- Nosek, M., Gifford, L., & Kober, B. (2014). Nonviolent Communication training increases empathy in baccalaureate nursing students: A mixed method study. Journal of Nursing Education & Practice, 4(10), 1-15. doi:10.5430/jnep.v4n10p1
- Marlow, E., Nosek, M., Lee, Y., Young, E., Bautista, A., & Hansen, F. (2014). Nurses, formerly incarcerated adults, and Gadamer: Phronesis and the Socratic dialectic. Nursing Philosophy. [Epub ahead of print] doi: 10.1111/nup.12055
- Nosek, M., Kennedy, H.P., & Gudmundsdottir, M. (2012). Distress during the menopause transition: A rich contextual analysis of midlife women’s narratives. Sage On-Line 2(3). doi: 10.1177/2158244012455178
- Nosek, M. (2012). Nonviolent Communication: A dialogical retrieval of the ethic of authenticity. Nursing Ethics, 19(6). doi: 10.1177/0969733012447016
- Nosek, M. (2012). ‘Chaos, restitution and quest’: One woman’s journey through menopause. Sociology of Health & Illness. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9566.2011.01453.x
- Wertz, M., Nosek, M., McNiesh, S. & Marlow, E. (2011). The composite first person narrative: Texture, structure, and meaning in writing phenomenological descriptions. International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Health & Well-being, 6, 5882. doi: 10.3402/qhw.v6i2.5882
- Nosek, M., Kennedy, H.P., Gudmundsdottir, M. Silence, stigma and shame: A postmodern analysis of distress during menopause (2010). Advances in Nursing Science, (33)3, E24–E36.
- Nosek, M., Kennedy, H., Beyene, Y., Taylor, D., Gilliss, C., Lee, K. The effects of perceived stress and attitudes toward menopause and aging on symptoms of menopause (2010). Journal of Midwifery and Women’s Health, (55), 328-334.
- Nosek, M., Kennedy, H.P., Gudmundsdottir, M. (2008) Silence, stigma, and shame: Distress during the menopause transition. Abstract. Journal of Midwifery and Women’s Health, 53(5) 482.