Dr. Cox is a dually board-certified adult nurse practitioner and adult psychiatric nurse practitioner, and certified public health nurse. Her specialty interests and NP work are in psychiatric mental health, addiction medicine, behavioral and community health of vulnerable populations, advocacy, and psychiatric consultation. She brings her clinical experience, interests, and enthusiasm for community and mental health to her teaching, service, clinical work, and volunteerism. Her focus is on integrating community and mental health in her courses to reflect real-world practice. Her passion is to educate future health care professionals to be well prepared to work with all persons and populations, in any setting, to improve access and care for those with mental health and population-health needs and reduce health disparities.
- Behavioral Health-Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing
- Public Health, Community Health Nursing of Vulnerable Populations
- Cognitive-Behavioral Modalities & Motivational Approaches
- Psychiatric and Substance Use Disorders Management
- Vice Chair FASON HP (2022-2025)
- Faculty Chair, University Honors College
- Former Chair, SONHP Academic Standards Committee
- Faculty Advisor Tri Gamma Nursing Society
- Affiliate Behavioral Health Faculty Appointment
- University Disability Issues Committee
- DNP students - Committee Chair, Committee Member
- SONHP CIRP Advisory Workgroup
- University Best Practices in Hybrid Learning FLC
- USF, DNP, Family Nurse Practitioner Program, 2010
- University of California, San Francisco, MSN, Adult and Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Program, 1998
- Brown University, Providence, RI, BA in Psychology, 1990
- Psychiatric Consultation & Education (2000-present)
- Comprehensive Psychiatric Consultation for approved Worker's Compensation cases (2010-2015)
- Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner, Trauma and Stress Recovery Center, SF Bay Area (2010-2015)
- Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner, Gateway Psychiatric Services, Inc. SF, CA (2005-2008)
- Senior Nurse Practitioner, Baker Places, Inc. SF, CA (1998-2008)
Awards & Distinctions
- University of San Francisco, DNP program, Deans Medal Recipient for Professionalism, 2010
- Edmond J. Safra Visiting Nurse Faculty Scholar, UCSF, SFVA, PADREC Center, The Parkinson Council, 2012, 2015
- Williams, R. A. (2022) Cox, Kimberleigh. Primary Peer Reviewer. Depression: A Major Public Health Concern. (3rd ed). Colibri Group. Elite Learning. Ormond Beach, FL. 24 units. Available at: elitecme.com/nursing/
- Caldwell, R. B. (2022). Cox, Kimberleigh. Primary Peer Reviewer. Basic Psychiatric Concepts. Colibri Group. Elite Learning. Ormond Beach, FL. 6 units. Available at: elitecme.com/nursing/
- Williams, R. A. (2019) Cox, Kimberleigh. Primary Peer Reviewer. Depression: A Major Public Health Concern. (2nd ed). Western Schools. Brockton, MA. 25 units. Available at: elitecme.com/nursing/
- Cox, Kimberleigh (2018). Bipolar and Related Disorders. Signs, symptoms and treatment strategies. Western Schools. Brockton, MA. (2nd ed). ISBN: 978-1-68041-449-3; www.westernschools.com
- Adult Depression Modules. (2010-2014). Co-author. Psychiatric NP expert panel member of multi-disciplinary national educational grant project to develop teaching modules for psychiatric and behavioral health students (UCSF collaboration).
- Goldenberg, I. M., Mueller, T, Fierman, E. J., Gordan, A., Pratt, L. Cox, K., Park, T., Lavori, P., Goisman, R. M., & Keller, M. B. (1995, Sept/Oct). The Specificity of Substance Use in Anxiety Disordered Subjects, Comprehensive Psychiatry, 36 (5) 319-328. Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, Brown University Medical School, Providence, RI, USA. Multicenter Study.
- Presenter, National Medical-Surgical Conference; April 2015; Managing psychiatric symptoms and challenging behaviors in the medical-surgical patient: Evidence-based strategies and tools for your trade (toolkit). South San Francisco, Convention Center, South SF, CA.
- Presenter, University of San Francisco SONHP-sponsored Training in collaboration with USF School of Education; October 2010; Developed and implemented an 8 hour interactive CE skill-based training for healthcare professionals. "An Educational Workshop: Introducing an evidence-based psychotherapy strategy "Tool kit" for the treatment of Chronic Depression". University of San Francisco, SF, CA.
- Presenter, Northern California Psychiatric Society (NCPS) 2007; Cognitive Behavioral Analysis Systems Psychotherapy (CBASP) EB strategies to manage chronically depressed patients; Presenter. Squaw Valley Resort, Lake Tahoe, CA.