Professor Mark’s history with USF spans 37 years. After graduating from the BSN program in 1987, she enjoyed a 30-year nursing career as a medical surgical staff nurse in a local hospital. She then earned an MSN from UCSF as a geriatric clinical nurse specialist, and when an opportunity opened up to teach at her undergraduate alma mater as a clinical instructor, she jumped at the chance. This sparked a love and passion for teaching nursing, and she has continued to teach at USF for almost 25 years.
During that time, she taught medical surgical clinicals, simulation, and a didactic course in physical assessment, and served as a level lead for the sophomore 2's for close to 10 years. In 2017 she graduated again from USF again with a DNP as a family nurse practitioner. Because of her DNP research in older adult fall prevention, she was offered and accepted an AACN Public Health Nurse Fellowship with the National Center in Injury at CDC for the Older Adult Team for two years.
- Medical-Surgical Nursing
- Geriatric Nursing
- Adult health
- Older adult falls
- Fall Prevention
- Level Lead for Sophomore 2, University of San Francisco (SONHP)
- University of San Francisco, DNP/FNP, 2017
- UC, San Francisco, MSN-Geriatric Clinical Nurse Specialist, 1993
- University of San Francisco, BSN, 1987
- AACN Public Health Nurse Fellow, CDC
- Adjunct Professor in Undergraduate Nursing, University of San Francisco
- Staff Nurse, Alta Bates Medical Center
Awards & Distinctions
- 1990: Awarded Staff Nurse III Title, Alta Bates Medical Center
- Mark, Janice A., Yara K. Haddad, and Elizabeth R. Burns. "Differences in Evaluating Fall Risk by Primary Care Provider Type." The Journal for Nurse Practitioners (2020).
- Mark, Janice A., and Jo Loomis. "The STEADI toolkit: Incorporating a fall prevention guideline into the primary care setting." The Nurse Practitioner 42.12 (2017): 50.
- Bruner, E., Gray S., Haddad Y.K., Johnson T., Lee, R., Legha, J., Mark, J., & Talbut, B. (2020). Online Continuing Education Course. STEADI: Empowering Healthcare Providers to Reduce Fall Risk (WB4310)
- April 2021: Association of Public Health Nurses 2021 Annual Conference, Virtual Conference: "How Nurses Can STEADI Their Patients"
- November 2019: Gerontological Society of America 2019 Annual Scientific Meeting, Austin, TX; “Understanding Facilitators & Barriers to Participation in Evidence-based Fall Prevention Interventions
- September 2019: AACN/CDC Nurses Work Group Fall Nursing Seminar Series, Atlanta, GA; AACN’s and Nursing’s Role in Impacting CDC’s Population Health Goals
- June 2019: CDC Indian Health Service Epidemiology Fellowship Presentation, Atlanta, GA; CDC’s Efforts to Keep Older Adults, Fall-Free, Mobile and Independent
- October 2018: Arizona Fall Prevention Coalition Symposium, Phoenix AZ’ The Health and Economic Burden Surrounding Older Adult Falls and CDC’s Efforts to Prevent Future Falls
- March 2017: California Association of Nurse Practitioner Annual Education Conference, San Francisco, CA; Using STEADI Toolkit to Screen and Manage Falls in the Community Dwelling Older Adult
- 2019 - Present: Member American Geriatric Society
- 2019 - Present: Member Gerontological Society of America
- 2019 - Present: Association of Public Health Nurses
- 2020 - Present: National League for Nurses
- 2020 - Present: Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association
- 2017 - Present: Member, American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- Sigma Theta Tau, Beta Gamma Chapter, University of San Francisco
- 1996-1998: Heritage Committee Chair
- 1993-1996: Program Committee Member
- 1988-1990: Corresponding Secretary
- 1987-Present: Member
- 1987 - Present: California Nurses Association
- 1993 - 1994: Association of Geriatric Clinical Nurse Specialists