Dr. Fiddian-Green (she, her, hers) is Assistant Professor in the MPH Program in the School of Nursing and Health Professions. Dr. Fiddian-Green is a public health anthropologist who has worked for more than 10 years to promote reproductive health and justice. Alice uses community-engaged public health storytelling methods to research the intersections of trauma, institutional violence, and substance use among pregnant people and mothers.
- Public health storytelling methods
- Community-engaged research
- Qualitative data collection and analysis
- Arts-based visual and digital research methods
- Reproductive health and justice
- Social, structural, and institutional determinants of substance use and mental health
- Storytelling, empathy, and health equity
- Interim Director, MPH Behavioral Health Concentration
- Policy Board Representative, FASONHP
- Co-Chair, SONHP Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee
- UMass Amherst, PhD in Public Health, 2019
- UMass Amherst, MPH in Health Promotion and Policy, 2013
- Assistant Professor of Health Promotion, Springfield College
Awards & Distinctions
- Health Promotion Practice Journal- 20th Anniversary Special Collection, 20 for 20 Publication selected for 20 for 20: top 20 list of research articles promoting radical practice published in the journal between 2000 and 2020, 2020
- Rho Chapter of Delta Omega at UMass Amherst School of Public Health and Health Sciences. Exemplary Graduate Student Inductee, 2020
- NIDA International Women’s and Children’s Health & Gender Group, Travel Award, 2019
- UMass Amherst, Dissertation Fellowship- Center for Research on Families, 2018-2019
- Fiddian-Green, A. & Gubrium, A. (2023). Digital Storytelling as a Tool for Critical Narrative Research, In A. Ruth, A. Wutich and H. R. Bernard (Eds.) The Handbook of Teaching Qualitative and Mixed Research Methods: A Step-by-Step Guide for Instructors. Routledge Press
- Fiddian-Green, A., Gubrium, A., Harrington, C., & Evans, E. (2022). Women-reported barriers and facilitators of continued engagement with medications for opioid use disorders. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. Special Issue: Reducing Health Inequities: Social Epidemiology Insights for Public Health and Social Policy, 19, 9346.
- Fiddian-Green, A., & Gubrium, A. (2021). Critical Narrative Intervention for Health Equity Research and Practice: Editorial Commentary Introducing the Health Promotion Practice Critical Narrative Intervention Special Collection. Health Promotion Practice.
- Fiddian-Green, A., Kim, S., Gubrium, A., Larkey, L. & Peterson, J. (2019). Restor(y)ing Health: A Conceptual Model of the Effects of Digital Storytelling on Socio-Emotional Wellbeing. Health Promotion Practice,
- Fiddian-Green, A., Gubrium, A., Peterson, J. (2017). Puerto Rican Latinas Coming Out to Talk About Sexuality and Identity. Health Communication, 32(9), 1093-1103