Dr. Scott Kellermann is a family physician, sub-specializing in tropical medicine and global health. In 1977, with his wife Carol and one-year-old son, he drove a VW camper from Germany to Nepal to work at Shanta Bhawan Hospital, Kathmandu, where their second son was born. In 1981, he and his family relocated to the U.S., where he practiced medicine for two decades in Nevada City, California. In 1986, he and two colleagues purchased an aging local hospital, converting it into an outpatient facility to assist with under-insured patients.
In 2001, Dr. Kellermann transitioned from private practice to sub-Saharan Africa to work with the Batwa pygmies of the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest of Uganda. Currently, Dr. Kellermann serves as medical director at Granite Wellness Centers, a California drug and alcohol rehab center that assists 1700 patients a day. His hobbies include fly fishing, mountain biking, telemark skiing, and sharing a cup of coffee.
- Fullbright scholar, 2017-2018
- Canon - Anglican Church
- Knights of St. Lazarus
- BS, University of Virginia
- MD, Tulane Medical School
- MPHTM, Tulane School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Internship, USC Keck School of Medicine
- Family Medicine Residency Program, UCLA Medical
- 1977-1981 Shanta Bhawan Hospital, Kathmandu Nepal
- 1981-2001 Private medical practice, Family Medicine and Travel Medicine, Nevada City, Ca
- 1986 Co-Founder: Western Sierra Medical Clinic, Grass Valley, Ca
- 1988 Co-Founder Luke Medical Foundation
- 2001-2016 Founder: Bwindi Community Hospital, Uganda Nursing School-Bwindi, Batwa Development Program, Uganda
- Family Medicine with a sub-specialty in tropical medicine and global health.
- Global health
- Tropical medicine
- Community based health insurance
- Selected Publications
Chikungunya, Conn Current Therapy 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
Zika Virus, Conn Current Therapy 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
Kellermann, S Weed, J Sperm Transport, Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 1971
Kellermann, S Traveling with Children, Diversion (cover story) 2002
Kellerman, S In Africa with the Pygmies, Consultant (cover story) 2010
- Awards & Distinctions
2014 Unsung Heroes of Compassion, Wisdom in Action - awarded by His Holiness the Dalai Lama
2016 Alumni of the Year - Tulane School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
2018 Harry Strusser Memorial Award - New York University School of Dentistry
2018 American Medical Association’s Dr. Nathan Davis International Award in Medicine
2019 Michael Ramsey Award, Nashotah House.