She is the recipient of a United States Artists Fellowship, the Pushcart Prize and a National Magazine Award. Her stories have appeared in McSweeney's, Conjunctions, The Gettysburg Review, American Short Fiction, Boulevard, Quarterly West, Denver Quarterly, The Massachusetts Review, and other journals and magazines.
She has held residencies at The MacDowell Colony, the Vermont Studio Center, the Wurlitzer Foundation, Civitella Ranieri Center, the James Merrill House, Ledig House, Yaddo, and NYU.
She earned a BFA in Painting from the Maryland Institute College of Art and an MFA in English from The University of Massachusetts, Amherst.
- Chair, Department of English
- BFA, Maryland Institute College of Art
- MFA, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- The MacDowell Colony Residency
- Vermont Studio Center Residency
- Wurlitzer Foundation Residency
- Blue Mountain Center Residency
- Ledig House Residency
- Yaddo Residency
- NYU Residency
Steinberg, S. (2013). Spectacle Graywolf Press.
Steinberg, S. (2006). Hydroplane. FC2.
Steinberg, S. (2003). The End of Free Love. FC2.
- Awards & Distinctions
United States Artists Ziporyn Fellow in Literature, 2010
National Magazine Award