Sophie’s research interests include data visualization and computer science education. She is a co-founder of the Visualization and Graphics Lab (VGL) and on the steering committee for the Symposium on Visualization for Cyber Security (VizSec). She is passionate about supporting diverse learners in the classroom, and integrating one-on-one student/faculty interaction into her courses on software development and data visualization.
- Data Visualization
- Computer Science Education
- PhD in Computer Science, University of California, Davis, 2010.
Awards & Distinctions
- Distinguished Teaching Award, University of San Francisco, 2019
- Post-Sabbatical Award, University of San Francisco, 2019
- Collective Achievement Award for Supporting Women in STEM, College of Arts and Sciences, University of San Francisco, 2018
- Modern Women in Tech, Our Time Gallery, Grace Hopper Celebration, 2018
- General Chair, Symposium on Visualization for Cyber Security, 2017
- Innovation in Teaching With Technology Award, Educational Technology Services, University of San Francisco, 2016
- Strategy Think Tank Incubator Award for Integrating Advances from MOOCS into Software Development, University of San Francisco, 2012