Kalmanovitz Hall 356
Marco Jacquemet teaches courses in communication and culture, intercultural communication, geographies of communication, and justice and social change. His scholarship focuses on the communicative mutations produced by the circulation of migrants and media idioms in the Mediterranean area. His more recent book project is called Transidioma: Language and Power in the 21st Century. He is also present in Italian media activist networks, where he investigates the link between media and power.
- PhD, Cultural/Linguistic Anthropology, UC Berkeley
- MA, Linguistics/Semiotics, EHESS, Paris
- BA, Communication Studies, U. of Bologna
Awards & Distinctions
- Dean's Scholar, 2011–2012
- NEH Chair, 2010–2011
- Jacquemet, M., ed. "Special Issue in Honor of John Gumperz." Journal of Linguistic Anthropology 23.3 (2013).
- Jacquemet, M. "Transidioma and Asylum: Gumperz's Legacy in Intercultural Institutional Talk." Journal of Linguistic Anthropology, 23.3 (2013): 199–212.
- Jacquemet, M. "The Socio-Political Conditions of Italian Media Populism." In Populism in Europe, edited by Erica Meijers. Brussels: Green European Foundation, 2012.
- Jacquemet, M. "Crosstalk 2.0. Asylum and Communicative Breakdowns." Text and Talk 31.4 (2011): 475–498.
- Berardi, F. & Jacquemet, M. Ethereal Shadows: Communications and Power in Contemporary Italy. New York: Autonomedia, 2009.
- Jacquemet, M. Credibility in Court: Communicative Practices in the Camorra Trials (2nd ed.). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2009 .
- Jacquemet, M. "Transcribing Refugees: The Entextualization of Asylum-Seekers' Hearings in a Transidiomatic Environment." Text and Talk 29.5 (2009): 525–546.
- Jacquemet, M. "Transidiomatic Practices: Language and Power in the Age of Globalization." Language and Communication 25 (2005): 257–277.
- Jacquemet, M. Dictadura Mediática, Barcelona: El Viejo Topo, 2004.
- Berardi, F. & Jacquemet, M. Telestreet: Lotta nel Mediascape Italiano. Milano: Baldini, Castoldi & Dalai, 2003.
- Jacquemet, M. Il Galateo del Cibernauta. Roma: Castelvecchi Editore, 1995.
- Jacquemet, M. Autour de la Petite Phrase de Vinteuil: Lectures Sémiotiques de Proust. Limoges: Actes Sémiotiques, 1991.