K.M. (Karl) Soehnlein is the recipient of a Lambda Literary Award (novel); IPPY Award (LGBTQ+ Fiction); the Henfield Prize (short fiction); and the SFFILM/Rainin Filmmaking Grant (screenwriting).
He is the author of the novels Army of Lovers (2022), The World of Normal Boys (2000), You Can Say You Knew Me When (2005), and Robin and Ruby (2010). He has been published in the nonfiction anthologies, Who's Yer Daddy: Gay Men Write about their Mentors and Forerunners; Girls Who Like Boys Who Like Boys; and Bookmark Now: Writing in Unreaderly Times, and in Queery, the San Francisco Chronicle, the Village Voice, San Francisco Magazine, and Out, among others.
With co-writer Aron Kantor, his television pilot, Bathhouse, has been optioned by Sony TV; their independent feature screenplay, Otto Sabotage, is in development with Dirty Glitter Productions.
- Personal essays
- San Francisco State University, MFA in Creative Writing, 1996
- Ithaca College, BS in Cinema Production, 1987
- Adjunct Professor, Dept. of Creative Writing, San Francisco State University
- Artist-Trustee, Board of Trustees, Djerassi Resident Artist Program
Awards & Distinctions
Independent Publisher Book Award, 2023, LGBTQ+ Fiction
SFFILM/Raininn Foundation Grant, Screenwriting
Lambda Literary Award, Gay Fiction
Henfield Prize, Short Fiction
Soehnlein, K.M. (2022). Army of Lovers. Ann Arbor: Bywater Books/Amble Press.
Soehnlein, K.M. (2010). Robin and Ruby. New York; Kensington Books
Soehnlein, K.M. (2005). You Can Say You Knew Me When. New York: Kensington Books.
Soehnlein, K.M. (2000). The World of Normal Boys. New York: Kensington Books.
Who's Yer Daddy: Gay Writers Celebrate their Mentors and Forerunners
Girls Who Like Boys Who Like Boys
Love, Castro Street
Bookmark Now: Writing in Unreaderly Times
The San Francisco Chronicle
San Francisco Magazine
- Bathhouse (Sony TV, optioned 2023)
- Otto Sabotage (Dirty Glitter Productions, in development 2023)
- Out of Site: SOMA (EyeZen Productions, 2020)