R. Douglas Manning
Dr. Manning teaches Sport Marketing and Business Development and Sales. His approach as an educator is influenced by his time as a University Professor, College Administrator, NCAA Volleyball Coach, and High School teacher. He has broad experience teaching across the Sport Management curriculum – through collaborative projects with industry professionals/organizations (MLB, MiLB, MLS, NBA, NCAA, NFL, NHL, USL), his theme has become, “California is Our Classroom: The Intersection of Academia and Industry.”
Dr. Manning’s scholarship has analyzed Sport Marketing, Sport Law/Risk Management, and eSports – he has served as a Consultant/Expert Witness and been published in both academic and professional journals, including the Journal of Managerial Issues, Journal of Contemporary Athletics, Journal of Applied Sport Management, MAHPERD Journal, Sport Management Education Journal, Journal for the Study of Sports and Athletes in Education, Case Studies in Sport Management, QUEST, and the American Bar Association. He is passionate about finding ways to positively impact his community and serves on the Board of Directors for Special Olympics Southern California.
- Sport marketing & sales
- Sport law & risk management
- Board of Directors, Special Olympics Southern California
- Editorial Board, Journal of Electronic Gaming and Esports (JEGE)
- Editorial Board, Journal of Athlete Development and Experience (JADE)
- Editorial Board, Journal of Sport Safety and Security (JSSS)
- University of New Mexico, PhD in Sport Administration, 2013
- Faculty, California State University, Fullerton
- Dean, Santa Ana College
- Assistant Professor, University of Southern Mississippi
- NCAA Volleyball Coach, University of New Mexico
Awards & Distinctions
- Professors Across Borders (CSUSB) - Lima, Perú, 2022
- Lori K. Miller Young Professional Award - Sport and Recreation Law Association, 2018
- Service Learning Fellowship - USM Center for Community and Civic Engagement (CCCE), 2017
- President’s Service Award - Sport and Recreation Law Association, 2016
- Lobo Coach Award - University of New Mexico Volleyball, 2012
- Manning, R.D., Phillips, D., Allen, B.L., & Hall, S.A. (2021). Birds of a feather don’t flock together: Institutional athletics rebranding at the University of Southern Mississippi. Journal of Managerial Issues, 33(3), 220-236.
- Hall, S.A., Manning, R.D., Keiper, M.C., Jenny, S.E., & Allen, B. (2019). Stakeholders’ Perception of Critical Risks and Challenges Hosting Marathon Events: An Exploratory Study. Journal of Contemporary Athletics, 13(1), 11-22.
- Keiper, M.C., Manning, R.D., Jenny, S.E., Olrich, T., & Croft, C. (2017). No Reason to lol at LoL: The Addition of eSports to Collegiate Athletic Departments. Journal for the Study of Sports and Athletes in Education, 10(4).
- Manning, R.D. (2016). Re-boot: Major League Soccer’s 2018 Re-Launch of Chivas USA as LAFC. Case Studies in Sport Management, 5(5), 31-40.
- Jenny, S.E., Manning, R.D., Keiper, M.C., & Olrich, T. (2016). Virtual(ly) athletes: Where eSports fit within the definition of “sport.” QUEST, 1-18.