Deena M. Lin
Deena M. Lin is a native of the Bay Area and lectures in philosophy and comparative religion at three California State Universities: East Bay, San Francisco, and San Jose. She teaches a diverse array of courses covering themes emanating from the history of philosophy, Eastern and Western philosophical and religious traditions, issues in social justice and race, feminist philosophy, and ethics. Most recently she has been involved in various collaboratives to improve teaching and assessment practices in order to enact an anti-racist liberatory approach and ensure her courses are inclusive and equitable to all her students.
- Philosophy of Religion
- Comparative Religion
- Poststructuralist Philosophy
- Feminist Philosophy
- Philosophical Theology
- Claremont Graduate University, PhD in Philosophy of Religion and Theology, 2013
- Claremont Graduate University, MA in Religious Studies, 2007
- University of San Francisco, BA in Philosophy, 2000.
- Lecturer in Philosophy & Religious Studies, San Francisco State University
- Lecturer in Philosophy & Religious Studies, California State University, East Bay
- Lecturer in Philosophy, San Jose State University
- Review of White Christian Privilege: The Illusion of Religious Equality in America by Khyati Y. Joshi (NYU Press, 2020) in Reading Religion (American Academy of Religion’s book review site) (Fall 2021).
- Review of Faith After Doubt: Why Your Beliefs Stopped Working and What To Do About It by Brian D. McLaren (St. Martin’s, 2021) in Socio-Historical Examination of Religion and Ministry (SHERM), Vol. 3, Issue 1 (Summer 2021).
- “Welcoming Syrian Life: Recognitions of Immanent Vulnerability” in Roland Faber and Jeremy Fackenthal, Eds., Whitehead and Continental Philosophy in the Twenty-First Century: Dislocations (Lexington Books, 2019).
- “Probing Identity: Challenging Essentializations of the Self in Ontology. A Response to Gereon Kopf” in Ingolf Dalferth and Trevor Kimball, Eds., Self or No-Self?: The Debate about Selflessness and the Sense of Self (Mohr Siebeck, 2017).
- Butler on Whitehead: On the Occasion. Roland Faber, Michael Halewood, and Deena M. Lin., Eds. (Lexington Books, 2012).