Christina Purpora has been an associate professor in the School of Nursing and Health Professions since 2011. Her primary areas of teaching are applied assessment and nursing fundamentals in the traditional undergraduate nursing program, and her professional experience includes 30 years of hospital nursing. Her clinical expertise is in medical-surgical and critical care nursing of the adult and older adult.
Dr. Purpora’s program of research focuses on antecedents, consequences, and mitigation related to incivility, bullying, and horizontal violence in the healthcare work environment. She regularly presents educational programs on incivility, workplace bullying, and horizontal violence at conferences and in academic and hospital settings. She has presented her research at conferences and published in peer-reviewed journals internationally.
- Care of the adult and older adult
- Incivility, workplace bullying, and horizontal violence in the healthcare work environment
- Chair, SONHP Faculty Development Committee, USF, 2015 - now
- Research Chair, Beta Gamma Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International, 2016 -18
- Steering Committee Member, American Nurses' Association, Professional Issues Panel, Incivility, Bullying, and Workplace Violence 2014-2015
- Ph.D., Nursing, University of California, San Francisco (UCSF)
- MS, Nursing (nursing education focus), University of Hartford, West Hartford, Connecticut
- BS, Nursing, Regis University, Denver, Colorado
- AS, Nursing, Ventura College, Ventura, California
- Diploma, Practical Nursing, Thompson School for Practical Nurses, Brattleboro, Vermont
- Assistant Professor, Samuel Merritt University
- Teaching and Research Assistant. UCSF
- Clinical Nursing Education Specialist, Eastern Connecticut Health Network
Awards & Distinctions
- Fulbright Specialist Roster, 2018-2021
- The Daisy Faculty Award, 2017
- Distinguished Dissertation Award in Nursing, UCSF, 2011
- Betty Irene Moore Doctoral Fellowship, UCSF, 2007-2010
- Purpora, C., Cooper, A., Sharifi, C., & Lieggi, M. (2019). Workplace bullying and risk of burnout in nurses: A systematic review protocol. The JBI Database of Systematic Reviews and Implementation Reports, 17(12), 2532-2540. doi:10.11124/JBISRIR-D-19-00019.
- Purpora, C. (2019). Talked Over as if I Weren’t There: Reflections From a Nurse and Educator. Creative Nursing, 25(1), 63-66.
- Purpora, C., & Prion, S. (2018). Using student-produced video to validate head-to-toe assessment performance. Journal of Nursing Education, 57(3), 154-158.
- Purpora, C. (2016). Facing incivility. Nursing 2016, 46(11), 44-5. DOI-10.1097/01.NURSE.0000502755.18323.4a
- Purpora, C., & Blegen, M.A. (2015). Job satisfaction and horizontal violence in hospital staff nurses: The mediating role of peer relationships. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 24(15-16), 2286-2294. doi: 10.0000/jocn.12818.