Brent Ferm is a professor teaching in the Clinical Psychology program at the University of San Francisco. He received his PhD in Clinical Psychology from Northwestern University with a clinical emphasis on psychoanalytically/psychodynamically informed psychotherapy. Brent is currently a clinical supervisor for the Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy Training Program at the San Francisco Center for Psychoanalysis and also has a private practice providing psychotherapy and psychological assessment since 1993.
Brent's teaching interests include attachment theory and clinical implications of attachment theory and time-limited dynamic psychotherapy, professional ethics, laws and standards for psychologists, and advanced clinical practicum. His research/scholarly interests include attachment/efficacy of attachment-based clinical interventions, clinical training and evaluation of clinical competencies, and community-based trauma-informed care.
- Psychodynamic psychotherapy
- Clinical supervision
- Attachment theory
- Time-limited dynamic psychotherapy
- Attachment theory and clinical implications of attachment theory
- Clinical training, clinical competency development, and evaluation
- Community-based trauma-informed care
- Co-Chair, DCQE/SPEE Committee, PsyD Program, USF
- Member, SONHP Simulation Committee
- Chair, Curriculum Committee, PsyD Program, USF
- Northwestern University, PhD in Clinical Psychology, 1991
- UC Berkeley, BS in Psychology, 1980
- Full Professor, Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, UC Davis Medical Center
- Staff Psychologist, VA-Northern California Healthcare System
- Psychologist, Prospect Sierra School
Awards & Distinctions
- Recipient of Residents’ Outstanding Volunteer Clinical Faculty Award, University of California at Davis, School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry (7/12-6/13)
- Recipient of Residents ‘ Outstanding Volunteer Clinical Faculty Award, University of California at Davis, School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry (7/05-6/06)
- Awarded Phi Beta Kappa (6/80)
- Meghani, D.T., and Ferm, B.R. Development of a Standardized Patient Evaluation Exam: An Innovative Model for Health Service Psychology Programs. Teaching and Education in Professional Psychology, 2019, September 30).