Professor Herr has dedicated her life to combating genocide and atrocity, and this passion has motivated her educational and professional pursuits and translates into a strong desire to prevent human rights violations. Ms. Herr received a doctorate in holocaust history from the Strassler Center for Holocaust and Genocide Studies at Clark University. In addition to holding academic positions at Keene State College, Northeastern University, and San Francisco State University, she has also worked for nonprofit organizations focused on holocaust, genocide, and refugee education and advocacy, such as the Holocaust Center, a division of Jewish Family and Children’s Services, RefugePoint, and Jewish World Watch.
Professor Herr is the recipient of fellowships and awards including the Saul Kagan Claims Conference Postdoctoral Fellowship (2017-2018), the European Historical Research Infrastructure Fellowship (2017), the Pearl Resnick Postdoctoral Fellowship in Advanced Holocaust Studies at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, DC (2016), and the Saul Kagan Claims Conference Dissertation Fellowship (2012-2014).
She is the author of The Holocaust and Compensated Compliance in Italy: Fossoli di Carpi, 1942 – 1952 (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2016), and the editor of Rwanda: The Essential Reference Guide (Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, 2018) and Sudan: The Essential Reference Guide (Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, 2020).
- Holocaust and Genocide Studies
- European History
- Perpetrators Studies
- Comparative Genocide
- Clark University, PhD in Holocaust History, 2014
- Claremont McKenna College, BA in British Literature, 2007
- Adjunct Professor in History, UC Berkeley
- Adjunct Professor in Jewish Studies, University of San Francisco
- Assistant Director, Holocaust Center, Jewish Family and Children's Services
- Lecturer in Holocaust and Genocide Studies, Keene State College
Awards & Distinctions
- Post-Doctoral Fellow, Saul Kagan Memorial Fellowship for Advanced Shoah Studies, The Conference of Jewish Material Claims Against Germany
- Pearl Resnick Post-Doctoral Fellow, Center for Advanced Holocaust Studies, United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
- Wroxton Associate Fellow, Stephen S. Weinstein Holocaust Symposium at Wroxton College, Oxfordshire
- European Historical Research Infrastructure Fellowship, Fondazione Centro di Documentazione Ebraica Contemporanea, Milan, Italy
- Editor, Darfur Genocide: The Essential Reference Guide (Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, 2020).
- “Chapter 9: Genocidal and Anti-Genocidal Ethics in Fascist Italy during the Holocaust,” in Agency and the Holocaust: Essays in Honor of Deborah Dwork (Palgrave MacMillan, 2020).
- Editor, Rwandan Genocide: The Essential Reference Guide (Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, 2018).
- The Holocaust and Compensated Compliance in Italy: Fossoli di Carpi, 1942-1952 (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2016).