Dr. Pournaghshband is the founder and director of Networks & Security Research Laboratory (Nets Lab). He is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive learning environment in computer science, and consistently develops pedagogies to incorporate cybersecurity into all computer science courses. Dr. Pournaghshband is the recipient of Fulbright Scholar Award in Austria.
- Computer Networks
- Computer Security
- Computer Science Education
- PhD, Computer Science, UCLA
- MS, Computer Science, UC Berkeley
- BS, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, UC Berkeley
Awards & Distinctions
- Fulbright U.S. Scholar Award, 2020
- Outstanding Engineering Achievement Merit Award, The Engineers’ Council, 2016
- Vahab Pournaghshband and Paola Medel, "Promoting Diversity-Inclusive Computer Science Pedagogies: A Multidimensional Perspective," In Proceedings of 25th ACM Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education (ITiCSE), June 2020.
- Paola Medel, and Vahab Pournaghshband, "Eliminating Gender Bias in Computer Science Education Materials," In Proceedings of the 48th ACM technical symposium on Computer Science Education (SIGCSE), March 2017.
- Vahab Pournaghshband, Alexander Afanasyev, and Peter Reiher, "End-to-End Detection of Compression of Traffic Flows by Intermediaries," In Proceedings of the IEEE/IFIP Network Operations and Management Symposium (NOMS), May 2014.
- Vahab Pournaghshband, "Teaching the Security Mindset to CS 1 Students," In Proceedings of the 44th ACM technical symposium on Computer Science Education (SIGCSE), March 2013.
- Vahab Pournaghshband, Leonard Kleinrock, Peter Reiher, and Alexander Afanasyev, "Controlling Applications by Managing Network Characteristics," In Proceedings of IEEE Communication and Information Systems Security Symposium (ICC), June 2012.