Ronald R. Sundstrom is a professor of philosophy and a member of USF’s African American Studies program, who also teaches for the university’s Honors College. He is the humanities adviser for the SF Urban Film Festival and a co-convener of the Black Philosophy Consortium.
Professor Sundstrom is involved with academic organizations seeking to build bridges between academic philosophy and public policy, such as the Public Philosophy Network, the North American Society for Social Philosophy, and the Philosophy of the City Research Group. His areas of research include philosophy of race, mixed-race identity and politics, political and social philosophy, justice and ethics in urban policy, and African American and Asian American philosophy. He published several essays and a book in these areas, including The Browning of America and The Evasion of Social Justice (SUNY 2008). His current book project is titled Just Shelter: Integration, Gentrification and Racial Equality (Oxford, forthcoming).
- Political theory
- Critical social and race theory
- African American and Asian American philosophy
Awards & Distinctions
- 2008 Sankofa Faculty Award, USF's Multicultural Student Services
- USF's 2009 Ignatian Service Award
- 2010 USF Distinguished Teaching Award
- Kim, D.H. and Sundstrom, R. (2014). "Xenophobia and Racism." Critical Philosophy of Race, 2(1).
- Sundstrom, R. (2013). "Sheltering Xenophobia." Critical Philosophy of Race, 1(1), 68-85.
- Sundstrom, R. (2013). "Comment on Elizabeth Anderson's The Imperative of Integration." Symposia on Gender, Race and Philosophy, 9(2).
- Sundstrom, R. (2012). "Frederick Douglass." In The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, ed. E.N. Zalta.
- Sundstrom, R. (2012). "Review of In the Shadow of Du Bois: Afro-Modern Political Thought in America, by Robert Gooding-Williams." Constellations, 19(1), 139-145.
- Sundstrom, R. (2011). "Fevered Desires and Interracial Intimacies in Jungle Fever." In The Philosophy of Spike Lee, ed. Mark Conard. Lexington, KY: The University Press of Kentucky.
- Sundstrom, R. (2009). "Mixed-Race Looks." Contemporary Aesthetics.
- Sundstrom, R. (2008). The Browning of America and The Evasion of Social Justice. Albany: State University of New York Press.
- Sundstrom, R. (2003). "Falling into the Olongapo River." American Philosophical Association Newsletter, 2(2).
- Sundstrom, R. (2002). "Laughing to Keep from Crying: Resisting 'Race' through Irony." Tympanum: A Journal of Comparative Literary Studies, 4.