Professor Böttger’s interests lie at the intersection of structural materials engineering and architecture, and she created and has been directing the Architectural Engineering minor program within the Department of Art + Architecture. She has also taught international immersion courses and project courses in which students work with community partners. She joined the new Engineering program curriculum development efforts in 2015, became interim director in 2018, and will be the first chairperson of the department.
Böttger has been a teacher for 20 years. In her architecture and engineering courses at USF, she emphasizes low-carbon, environmentally sustainable approaches to designing for the built environment, and especially the effect of these decisions on under-served communities. She doesn’t separate good design from seeking social justice.
- Chair, Dept of Engineering (2020- )
- Interim Director, Engineering program (2018-2019)
- Promotion to Associate Professor (2017)
- Program Director, Honors in ARCD (2015-2019)
- Program Director, Architectural Engineering minor (2012- )
- Program Director, Architecture & Community Design (2012-2017)
- MArch, MS, Structural Materials Engineering, UC Berkeley
- BS, Civil Engineering, UC Berkeley
- Structural materials engineering
- Seismic strengthening techniques for natural building material construction
- 3D laser scanning for structural analysis and documentation
- Engineering education
- Awards & Distinctions
USF Faculty Service-Learning Award, 2018