D. A. Powell's books include Cocktails (Graywolf, 2004) and Chronic (Graywolf, 2009), both finalists for the National Book Critics Circle Award in Poetry, and Useless Landscape, or A Guide for Boys (Graywolf, 2012), winner of the 2013 Book Critics Circle Award in Poetry. Powell's awards include the Shelley Memorial Award from the Poetry Society of America, Kingsley Tufts Prize, two Pushcart Prizes, and the California Book Award. He has taught at Columbia University, University of Iowa, and Harvard University.
Listen to D.A. Powell read at the Phi Beta Kappa literary exercises.
- MA, Sonoma State University
- MFA, Iowa Writers' Workshop
- Briggs-Copeland Lecture in Poetry, Harvard University
- McGee Professor of Writing, Davidson College
- Visiting Faculty, University of Iowa
- Michener Residency Writer, James Michener Center, UT-Austin
Awards & Distinctions
John Updike Award from the American Academy of Arts & Letters, 2019
Shelley Memorial Award from the Poetry Society of America
Kingsley Tufts Prize
California Book Award