- Intersectional feminism
- African American literature
- Native American literature
- Jewish American literature
- Early 20th century women's journalism
- Critical pedagogy
- University of Massachusetts, Amherst, PhD in English, 1993
- University of Massachusetts, Amherst MA in English, 1989
- Pacific Lutheran University, English and Communication, BA in English, 1983
- Professor of English, USF
- Vice Provost, USF
- Associate Dean and Director MAT/Professor of English, Empire State College (SUNY)
- Assistant/Associate Professor of English, Florida State University
Awards & Distinctions
- Grants with Dr. Clarence B. Jones for "From Slavery to Obama," USF Fall 2015, $10,000 Andrew Goodman Foundation Gift/$50,000 Moore Charitable Trust Grant
- University Teaching Award, Florida State University
- Distinguished Teacher’s Award, University of Massachusetts
Batker, Carol interview with Ken Yale, “We Don’t Want No Miseducation,” COVID Race and Democracy, Pacifica COVID-19 Task Force, KPFA, January 4, 2021.
Christine Sleeter, Alison Dover, Ruchi Agarwal-Rangnath, Roxana Marachi, Kyle Beckham, Carol Batker, and Kevin Kumashiro. “The Shift to Online Education During and Beyond the COVID-19 Pandemic: Concerns and Recommendations for California.” California Alliance of Researchers for Equity in Education (Research Brief). (September 2020) 1-8.
Batker, Carol and Jennifer E. Turpin. “The Crisis in U.S. Higher Education: Alternative Financing and Governance Models.” European Proceedings of Social and Behavioral Sciences EpSBS (November 2019) e-ISSN: 2357-1330.
Batker, Carol, Eden Osucha, and Augusta Rohrbach eds. Pedagogy: Critical Practices for a Changing World, special issue of American Literature, vol. 89, no. 2, June 2017.
Reforming Fictions: Native, African, and Jewish American Women's Literature and Journalism in the Progressive Era. Columbia University Press (October 2000).